What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Curious World of Carnivorous Plants : A Review

The Curious World of Carnivorous Plants: A Comprehensive Guide to Their Biology and Cultivation by Wilhelm Barthlott, Stefan Porembski, Rüdiger Seine, and Inge Theisen is a translation of their popular 2004 book, Karnivoren: Biologie und Kultur Fleischfressender Pflanzen, a title which has quickly become a favorite of mine; and it was a pleasant surprise to see it translated into English for the first time by Oregon's Timber Press. From what I could tell -- having just seen it recently -- it is, page for page, a duplication of the original German work (aside from a new cover and title), right down to photographs and format.

KARNIVOREN.jpg
CURIOUSWORLD.jpg

What distinguishes this book from several others currently available to the general public is a very unapologetic -- Germanic -- dedication to scientific detail and history, but written with a broad approachability and skill. From the outset, it reminded me of an easy "hybrid" of 1942’s The Carnivorous Plants with Francis E. Lloyd's clinical approach, fused with that of The Savage Garden and Peter D’Amato’s very practical horticultural instructions. The Curious World covers all of the well-known genera and a few others lesser-so (Colura, Pleurozia, and Arthrobotrys, for example) in a straightforward manner and provides some photographs few have probably ever seen -- scanning electron micrographs (or, if you would prefer, Rasterelektronenmikroskopische) of the trapping mechanisms of Utricularia, Genlisia, Cephalotus, among others. It is profusely illustrated with some great macro photography of plant / insect interaction, worldwide images of the carnivorous plants in the field, along with a bounty of good, stern Teutonic advice on the cultivation of individual species . . .

Seems like something worth getting. Any chance it's in Barnes & Nobles yet?

The English copy I just saw was at Borders and I am sure that Amazon has it by now . . .

I checked for this book on my last visit to Barnes & Noble (about a week ago and in NJ) and they didn't have it, so I doubt any others would. It's one of the best stocked stores I've been to.

I checked for this book on my last visit to Barnes & Noble (about a week ago and in NJ) and they didn't have it, so I doubt any others would. It's one of the best stocked stores I've been to.

I found in stock at Borders and at Amazon for about 25.00, though it retails for 39.95. No taxes and free shipping. It can always be ordered and if you don't like it, can be easily returned . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Curious-World...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216276664&sr=1-1

Thanks for the info, but I'd prefer to browse through it in the bookstore. Thats just me.

Thanks for the info, but I'd prefer to browse through it in the bookstore. Thats just me.

That's usually my taste too, but I often have a hard time finding things on the shelves in CA. Plenty of books on cultivating dope but generally little else . . .

ive never come across a carnivorous plant book in a bookstore other than a copy of The Savage Garden i ran across in a used book store.......i rate the above book as highly as i rate Barry Rice's book though i like them for different reasons...The above covered lots of stuff previous books havent and Barry's book has lots of useful lists as well as covering some stuff Peter's book didnt just cause lots has happened since The Savage Garden was printed....if you insist on being able to look through a book first, order it from Amazon and if yah dont like it, return it and get your money back....

That's usually my taste too, but I often have a hard time finding things on the shelves in CA. Plenty of books on cultivating dope but generally little else . . .

Have you ever realised they usually mix cp books and dope books into the same section? (If they even carry cp books.)
I was looking for a copy of this book once and my Dad came over and saw me looking through the marijuana section.

I've seen it in Borders in Santa Barbara, along with The Savage Garden

Thanks for the great review and covers. I'll have to look for it but I have never seen CP books in my local B&N. I don't get to Borders much.

Back