What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test your percentage of dixie/yankee

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date
"second syllable in pajamas rhyme with "father"??"

seriously..I dont get it..
anyone understand this one?
says its for South Eastern US.

Scot

Yep. Like I posted before...its a "broad" A...pa-JAH-mas. Not pa-JAM-mas. Same with aunt...AHHnt...not Ant.

maybe im just particulary dense today..
confused.gif

how does JAH in pa-JAH-mas rhyme with father?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]100% (Dixie).  Is General Lee your father?

Let's see if somebody can beat that.

And yes I do have a Confederate flag in my front yard.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Mar. 16 2005,3:15)]maybe im just particulary dense today..
confused.gif

how does JAH in pa-JAH-mas rhyme with father?
pa-JAH-mas
FAH-ther

the 1st syllables rhyme

49% yankee

Your right PAK

39% definte Yank!!

my result:

52% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

*clueless and stupid* is Dixie a north U.S person or sotuh U.S person?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
*clueless and stupid* is Dixie a north U.S person or sotuh U.S person?

It's the southern US.
Check out my Signature.

Doesn't work for some of us foreigners but it cracked me up!

1. How do you pronounce Aunt?
Like the word want
Like the word ant
Like the word caught
I pronounce them all the same

I say it like "aren't", not like any of those choices.

How can you say caramel with 2 syllables!!!!
That's like saying aluminium without the "i" - aluminum.

And what the heck is a crawdad, don't you have yabbies?

Why (this one killed me) would you throw toilet paper over a house for heaven's sake???

Oh, very posh fatboy, saying "Aren't" for aunt! It's 'Ant', eh up lad!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Mar. 16 2005,1:08)]53% Dixie....Though I must disagree with some of the descriptions.
People in NY DO NOT pronounce cot and caught the same way.  Don't know where that notion comes from.

Raised in NY my whole life, but went to a liberal arts college.  Go figure.

Last time someone asked me for a pop, I punched 'em.
(That's a pop where I come from, as for the other definition, I am certainly not giving away my father).
I came out 58 % Dixie.

I've lived in New York State nearly all of my life, with the exception of a year in Kentucky, a year in Ohio, and the past 4 in PA.

David, my first 7 years were in the Bronx and the next 11 on the the Island. I had about 20 years in Buffalo. Buffalo & NYC/LI are so incredibly different, culturally. I grew up with heroes (for hot) ans submarine sandwiches (for cold). In WNY, they are called subs. It was soda where I grew up and pop in WNY. Cawfee & Flawrida as a kid and coffee & Florida in WNY. It was orange growing up and Awrange in Buffalo. Then there's that 'R' pronunciation or lack thereof...

LOL Alvin
I, along with 20,000,000 other Aussies all say Aunt that way, never had the poms call us "posh" before though.

You haven't explained the toilet paper thing though?

I believe the toilet paper thing is just a simple prank, along with the lines of spray paint, toothpaste, chalk, eggs, tomatoes, etc... Just basic vandalism.

whee teepeing! ah i nevver saw the fun

50% Barely into the Yankee category. which is interesting because i've had numerous people tell me i don't have an accent ("you're from long island? wow, you don't sound like it." which always leads me to wonder what they THINK i should sound like!!!). and here i land right in the middle!

lol except i think they need to have their own test just for new york accents which don't fall under either category... the Long Island, the Brookyln, the Western New York...

53% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.
eh. most of my answers were "common throughout the US" so I don't see how they could say that

Back