What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test your percentage of dixie/yankee

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date
this test is southerner test...its not for northerners, the test just
highlights southern stuff, plus you cant even be 100% notherner but u can be 100% southerner

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>
smile_k_ani_32.gif
 52%(Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.I thought for sure I would have got 75% like yankee or more. Everyone I talk to outside of my 5 county area says:" Are you from Philly?" I pronounce water like wooder. I think that is only a Philly thing. Anyway I was amazed!!!!!!!
Oh, and by the way...

Hi, I'm Kitkat. I'm new. Ever since I was a little girl, I have wanted to own a venus fly trap, but had no luck at every nursery I went to. I was beginning to think that they didn't exist.
     One day it popped into my head... Oh yeah, the internet; I'll check there.I found this site, did some research and a week later I have my plant. His name is Seymour, and I am in love. Seymour and I have been together for 3 days. I have been reading about how to care for them over the last week.
I cannot wait to watch him grow, and buy more plants. I have been looking at all of everyones wonderful pics and articles and I can't wait to expand my collection.

I live in an apartment, so for now Seymour is on my desk in my office in front of my window and under florescent lights. I have plenty of distilled water, although I am nervous about the temperature.I know I have read everyone's articles about being outside till frost, however, my instructions that came with it say around 75 degrees. Also, I think some traps need to be trimmed, but I do I check? stick a paper clip in all. The ones that don't close need to be snipped off? That seems mean. Any suggestions would be great.

When I buy my own home probably in the next 2 years, I will buy a green house and really let loose. I am very limited in my current home. I am so excited. Now, I found this forum and a whole new society to come along with it. People who care for these plants like I do. I feel like I found my home!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks for being here.</span>
smile_m_32.gif

The CP addiction have struck down another soul. Welcome to the disease. I should go ahead and tell you now, once you're in there's no way out. You think you're limited in your current house, but there is always room for just one more plant. You'll be amazed how many places you'll find to grow your plants.

Don't stick paper clips in the traps to see if they close or not. Even if a trap won't close, it still is a leaf. The only time you should cut off the leaves are if they are brown and dead.

Welcome to the forums.

thanks for the tip. I thought if I didn't cut off the non working traps, that would prevent the plant from thriving. I thought I read somewhere when it stops working to cut it off and a bigger one will grow in it's place.

You'll have news ones growing all the time until it goes dormant for winter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kitkat @ Mar. 17 2005,8:57)]<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>
smile_k_ani_32.gif
 52%(Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.I thought for sure I would have got 75% like yankee or more. Everyone I talk to outside of my 5 county area says:" Are you from Philly?" I pronounce water like wooder. I think that is only a Philly thing. Anyway I was amazed!!!!!!!
Oh, and by the way...

Hi, I'm Kitkat. I'm new. Ever since I was a little girl, I have wanted to own a venus fly trap, but had no luck at every nursery I went to. I was beginning to think that they didn't exist.
     One day it popped into my head... Oh yeah, the internet; I'll check there.I found this site, did some research and a week later I have my plant. His name is Seymour, and I am in love. Seymour and I have been together for 3 days. I have been reading about how to care for them over the last week.
I cannot wait to watch him grow, and buy more plants. I have been looking at all of everyones wonderful pics and articles and I can't wait to expand my collection.

I live in an apartment, so for now Seymour is on my desk in my office in front of my window and under florescent lights. I have plenty of distilled water, although I am nervous about the temperature.I know I have read everyone's articles about being outside till frost, however, my instructions that came with it say around 75 degrees. Also, I think some traps need to be trimmed, but I do I check? stick a paper clip in all. The ones that don't close need to be snipped off? That seems mean. Any suggestions would be great.

When I buy my own home probably in the next 2 years, I will buy a green house and really let loose. I am very limited in my current home. I am so excited. Now, I found this forum and a whole new society to come along with it. People who care for these plants like I do. I feel like I found my home!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks for being here.</span>
smile_m_32.gif
Hi Kitkat and welcome to our forums! Is Seymour's last name 'krelborn'? You'll just have to get another and call it Audrey. And then another... and another...
Do you also say 'warsh' for wash?

As Ozzy said, if it's green, leave it be. Only black / brown pasrts should be removed. The care instructions that come with the little pots are incomplete and inaccurate. VFT's DO best outside, but for now, until Winter finally goes away, I would put yours in another container, filled to ~1" of distilled water. Put it at a south or SW facing window. Do not cover the plant. Enjoy! We'll worry about the dormancy issue down the road.

Wasn't Clint Eastwood Mayor of Carmel?
cool.gif

lol! Yeah. Note...no middle A!

86% dixie!!!
smile_n_32.gif

actually if you keep clicking on 'compute my score' when you filled in your anwsers the score keeps changing every time you click on it
confused.gif

I kept clicking on it over and over again and eventually it went to 100% dixie

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]EU's use a water closet.

*dies laughing*

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Or put a stick in the corner. (Don't ask)

I don't think I need to.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you watch TV in the Frontroom or Livingroom?

Bedroom.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Once there do you sit on a sofa or a couch?

Bed.

Hey Kitkat... jimscotscoot (sorry.. jimscott. "jimscotscoot" is his nickname. Long story) gave good advice. What he said. And you can tell if a trap is no longer functional (though it doesn't really matter) by looking at it.. if the lips of the trap are curled slightly outwards, then it's no longer functional as a trap, but it's still green, therefore it still performs photosynthesis and produces energy for the plant, so don't cut it off until it's browned.

Welcome to the forums... Embrace the Insanity!!

Back