What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TerraForums is the nicest place!

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
Really, I always knew the folks here were the best, but I didn't realize how good until I tried to join another forum over the weekend. It was an orchid specific site. I was hoping for a species specific area.

There was a post that was a sticky in which the OP stated, "If you have any questions on culture - post em here!" So I did, asking a question specifically about a cultural method the OP had mentioned.

Someone else replied with, "As a side note, you'll get better responses if you posted your questions as a regular post instead of adding to a sticky meant for informational purposes."

Then this morning, one of the mods wrote me and accused me of possibly being mistaken as a spammer because of the links in my signature! They're the same ones I have on every forum!

She said she hoped I was enjoying the forum and that it's a, "Great friendly place." I replied that it most certainly was not enjoyable or friendly and I would not be back.

Stick with TerraForums, folks! If anyone wants any details, forum name, etc, just pm me. I have links and complete message copies.

Thank you TerraForums for being legitimately a great and friendly place!

David

Yeah, I absolutely love this site. It's amazing. Totally agree with you here.

Indeed it is, David! I especially enjoy conversing with the Vulcans, here!

Hey not every forum can be as awesome as us. :p

But I am sorry, I hate having negative experiences online, it's never fun.

There's enough orchid geeks on here too that I bet you could even find an answer on TF! (maybe)

Yeah, I'm on a couple other forums and I never go to them.

Terraforums = Amazing.
End of story.

not to mention the most active. it sometime takes weeks to even months to get a response on other threads!

LOL That's why I've been a TF member for ages. One orchid forum I joined years back had lots of big names and orchid book authors as members on there but they were all some of the meanest people ever. Flaming each other and one book author even going so far as to turn in a nursery owner to authorities over hearsay and ruining peoples nurseries and lives. :(

I never posted anything even once on that site but it was like watching FOX news, everyone just got on and went off! There was lots of activity on the board but it was difficult to say any of it was educational or helpful in the least - it was just a constant brawl everyday. I wonder if it was the same site... LOL

Wow, that sounds like where I made all of two posts. I got two posts further than you, though I'm not sure that's something to be proud of! lol

They even erased my signature flat out! Didn't even ask me if I could change it, even though I wasn't aware of breaking any official rules. I just couldn't seem to follow the rules there, despite the fact that I thought I was. I posted where the OP requested, it was on topic, and I still got told about it. Then I heard all about how my signature may make me look like a spammer after they completely deleted it. The mod tried to come off like she was doing me a service! She did it so that, "another mod wouldn't see it, think I was a spammer, and delete my account completely." Aww, wasn't that nice of her? lol

They come off as stuck up snobs. Just like you describe! Was the board's initials OB with a .com at the end?

David

No it wasn't them it was a more officially sanctioned orchid forum. You would have thought they had some sort of "behavior monitoring mods" or something. It was as if they had no mods at all -they just sign on every day and hit each other over the head with chairs!
Or so it seemed, it was sort of entertaining but I wasn't interested in jumping in the middle of it.

The board I was on seemed to be over-moderated. They need to share mods with the one you were on. That one sounds like Springer; entertaining to watch, but you never want to be on it. lol

One orchid forum I joined years back had lots of big names and orchid book authors as members on there but they were all some of the meanest people ever.
It's definitely not limited to orchids - some butterfly and birding clubs are similar. The members get very competitive and argue over IDs and challenge specific 'sightings' and accuse others of falsifying records, etc.

As for Terra, I enjoy the community feel of this forum and find that I spend more time here than the others. Imho, it's a shame that we have all of the assorted forums. I think it would be great to combine them into one with a good group of people and lots of shared knowledge and enough activity to hold people's interest.... Some of the board's are lucky if they get 1-3 posts per day...

People here are extremely helpful here. I've gotten great advice with all of my questions.

I love everyone I've interacted with here. The people are knowledgeable, kind, and generous to boot. I'm very lucky to have found this site.

I spend more time here than on the forums of my country, people are very friendly and terrafoums very nice. forums in french I'm taking notes or dirty people do not respond to my topics. I do not know what I did them wrong

Oh, I know the forum. I have an account there. Don't use it much though.

The personalities of the of the forums vary from hobby to hobby, and from people to people. Dare I say the orchid societies may look down at us CP'ers, we can never escape the levels society.

Or some groups of people are just not as 'nice' as others for some reason or the other. Like we're a lot nicer here, that's the personality of the forum, just like that orchid forums might be like that, where it's been turned into some authoritarian society where peolpe who have no type of power in real life, come to pertend to be something else online.

Many good CP forums, but as mentioned this the most active, and most friendly. Actually most Cp forums are, I think the bigger issue is activity levels on other forums, at least for me.

I agree. I have never met a person here on this forum that I didn't like. Everyone for the most part is friendly. Even though I have had a difference of opinions with a few people here in some of the General Discussions threads :) we can still discuss things CP or otherwise and be friendly about it.

I like talking to people who are different than me just as much as those whose opinions are similar. It helps us all understand where each other is coming from a little better and hopefully gain new perspective.

I think what makes this forum unique is that even the old pros are friendly and willing to share knowledge and not condescending or snide.

Dare I say the orchid societies may look down at us CP'ers, we can never escape the levels society.

But the joke's on them because insectivorous plants are infinitely more cool. :D

I love orchids, but they only flower every now and then....

Even the lowliest typical Dionaea is still an awesome Dionaea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back