What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tannersville Bog, PA Trip anyone?

Hi guys and gals,
I know there are quite a few of us in the tri-state area. I recently found out about this area and have not been there personally, yet. I live just south of the bog, about 35 miles. It is the southernmost boreal bog east of the Mississippi River. They have a board walk across the bog so you do not have to get dirty. I am planning on going up sometime soon, especially with the weather we have been having. It was 80 yesterday and almost again today. We have been in the 70's for over a week. My sarracenia are starting to put up a few flowers, so I imagine the purple pitchers at the bog will be too. They have designated dates for bog walks, but if we can get a group, we can go anytime. It appears the cost is $5 per person and lasts 2 1/2 hours.

Please post here if you might be interested in going so I can get an idea and make plans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannersville_Cranberry_Bog

http://www.mcconservation.org/default.asp?contentID=22#TCB

If you really want to see the flowers, you probably want to call someone. In-ground plants are heavily influenced by slow-to-warm ground temps and are usually a few weeks behind potted plants ime...

I'd very much be up for it, particularly since I was unable to attend the last NECPS show and won't be in the northeast during the upcoming ICPS meeting... :p :)

Speaking only for myself, it would very much depend on what date was being considered...

I was thinking of planning the trip for late April, or May. That way plants would be in active growth, flowers should be up. I have not found any native PA CP's yet. Not due to lack of effort though. I have dragged my wife through enough swamps and boggy areas for her to go, "Oh no, not again, not another swamp." I have to take a trip to the pine barrens sometime as well. How about Saturday May 19th? Assuming we have enough people to get a group walk. I will call and find out how many people are needed.

Back