What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T12 lighting, and temp problems..

This is starting to bother me and I could really use some input.

First off, if the T12 bulbs are much closer than they need to be, that might be the whole problem, so please let me know:

Average temp: 86-94 degrees under six T12 48" tubes, 2" above the terrarium, 6-8" above the plants inside
For what I'm doing, I need to maintain under about 86 degrees degrees.

Average humidity: 50-80% dependent upon temp.

Plants: Drosera Adelae (1 large, 1 small), Drosera Capensis, a Capensis Red, and a Nepenthis Gracilis.

What I haven't yet done, but have considered:
- Raise the light fixtures or lowered the terrarium's shelf (see bolded statement above)
- Removed the ballasts and mounted them on the top outside of the fixtures (ugh..)
- Set a fan to blow between the fixtures and the terrarium
- Checked if my fixtures use magnetic ballasts vs. electronic, as I hear magnetic run much hotter

Any input would be appreciated.

Based on the plants you have, I don't see any problem with that.

That tank would be perfect for lowand Nepenthes. What's the night temperature?

Based on the plants you have, I don't see any problem with that.

Really? I know the Nepenthis is probably loving it, but I would have sworn I was frying my droseras - no?

That tank would be perfect for lowand Nepenthes. What's the night temperature?

Night temp hovers around 76-82, I doubt it will ever drop below that - heck, I'd be surprised to see 76 and would simply close the vent in the room at that point. Problem fixed. ;)

I just jerry-rigged a small fan to blow between the lights and the top of the terrarium. It's now at a steady 84 degrees and 80% humidity. It was 91 and 62% humidity before I added it. :)

More Nepenthis is in fact my goal. :) Do you have any recommendations that are good for a terrarium? It's a 10 gallon and I could comfortably fit 2 or 3 more small/medium plants inside.

Yeah, I was going to say go with the fan. Nepenthes like moving air, even a direct breeze. Your 80% humidity is more than enough, so if you can keep it even at 60%, go with the fan.

Oh, and get an N. albomarginata or N. ampullaria

Capslock

Yeah, I was going to say go with the fan. Nepenthes like moving air, even a direct breeze. Your 80% humidity is more than enough, so if you can keep it even at 60%, go with the fan.

Oh, and get an N. albomarginata or N. ampullaria

Capslock

Hmm. I'm glad you thought to say something, but can you be more specific with "Nepenthes like moving air"? If they don't have it, is their growth stunted, or what?

I cut a 3" hole in the door and mounted an adjustable speed computer fan on it; it's set to run twice a day, at noon and midnight, for 30 minutes each time to recirculate air - the problem with this is that even if I seal the terrarium to the best of my ability, the fan drops the humidity to about 40% (outside room humidity).

This is why I can't run it 24/7.

My chamber is 7' x 7' x 3', and I have a 7" fan hanging from the top back right corner on 24/7

Back