What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundews with the longest tenticles and most dew.

All of the sundews I've seen for sale here in Vegas are of the small, low dew producing kind. I'm just curious as to which sundews have the highest dew and longest tenticle yield, how easy they are to care for, and where I might be able to find them for purchase (grown or seed).

Drosera filliformis var tracyii...WAY too dewy!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I find that d. dichotoma 'giant' have quite a bit of dew. Of course I have seen many plants that just are not 'happy' with little to no dew. I believe it may be an acclimation period for them. Of course vegas is like living on the sun, so acclimation may take a bit longer or the plants may not produce as much dew there. Your guess is as good as mine. btw, where in vegas do you live? my brother-in-law is a real estate agent in henderson...nice place to visit, but toooooo hot for me.

I do not have many sundews, but of the ones I keep that produce the most dew and easy to care for would be D. capensis.

D. Binata gets pretty impressive, especially the multi-branching species. Of course, the orginial is also elegent in it's simplicity
biggrin.gif

I'm directly on the Vegas/North Las Vegas in the Northwest part of town, somewhat near a communtiy here called Summerlin. Henderson is growing at a massive rate, and is a roughly 45 minute to 1 hour minute drive for me.

Anyone know a good place I could purchase these nifty plants, or if anyone here can provide me with a few seeds?

I will be offering many interesting Drosera species seed in the next couple of weeks if no one can help you sooner. Check the trading post thread for details.

Stick around the Forum long enough and you should be able to find many interesting additions to your collection!

For long tentacles, Drosera burmannii is a nice choice, or its South American counterpart D. sessilifolia. The longest tentacles in the genus are to be found in these species, and their intitial motion is visable and quick! For dew, Drosera prolifera wins the Glob Award. For tentacle and leaf action, D. capensis and D. regia are quite active and wrap around their prey with gusto.

Drosera regia has lots of dew. It also has very large leaves.
It is the King sundew after all.

Yes I was thinking about D.burmanii as well...but I'll have to go with filiformis since that's the dewiest I know of.
Sticky, too...my bro's can stretch over half a metre long (NOT J/K)

Seems as the plants (observed D.filiformis) gets older the dew becomes stickier...anyone have a lead on this? That's just a comparison between my brother's (adult) and mine (tiny)

Back