What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sundews, live LFS, and mold?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
A few of my sundews that are being grown in a storage container, open tray, under artificial lighting, are experiencing white, puffy balls of what I think are mold. They also have in common that they are in a top layer of live LFS. Anybody else experiencing that?

Yep, it doesn't seem to hurt them but I'm still gonna move em when I get a chance.

White, puffy balls are often caused by decaying plant material. Is the mold on dead traps?

Mine aren't just here and there in a plug flat.

I stay on top of dead material, for just that reason. So I'm a bit confused. Is the live LFS retaining too much water / humidity?

I know that this topic is old, but Jim, is this what you are talking about? This stuff is on some of my plant's pots, but most of it seems to be in my D. scorpioides pot and my P. 'Sethos' pot, which are the only ones with perlite in it.

DSCN4679.jpg

-Ben

Try neem oil based fungicides first, if that doesn't work go with something more powerful.

But is this fungus stuff a threat to my plants? Or is it just an aesthetic thing?

-Ben

i have this mold too. pure white, almost looks like cotton? i dont really mind it, it grows on my big cluster of adelae a lot. to date, it hasn't caused any problems.

The mold I had was white and wet. I think it's just better to manually remove things like mold and layers of club moss.

Back