What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew growth Feeding vs non feeding

ace209

Riverbank CA
Here are some.d. capensis×spathulata propagated.via leaf cutting like the title says one was feed one wasnt.They were both feed when they were super tiny. Its about 3 weeks of not feeding. Its pretty cool what a difference feeding can do.

IMG_20130620_102723 by ace209er, on Flickr

IMG_20130620_102809 by ace209er, on Flickr

I always find that the plants that eat the most grow the largest and healthiest. Good luck with those cuttings;they look great!

Good Growing,
Kenny

What are you feeding that guy?

Yeah, it's this way with most CPs, but easpecially Drosera.. they seem to require more food than most other CPs.

I feed all my dews tiny crushed pieces of betta pellets only one exception d. Adelae it does not respond good at all it will start to loose its dew and the leaves will start to burn i found out the hard way. I also stoped feading the adelae and its now sending out red leaves yay finally.

Yeah, it's this way with most CPs, but easpecially Drosera.. they seem to require more food than most other CPs.

Yup i wanted to test it out myself to see the difference and oh boy do they grow super quick when feed.

My Filiformis catches plenty of bugs but my VFTs don't. Does this work for all CPs?

Some Old World species, such as Drosera regia, suffer greatly from not being fed; and it had been one of the most common reasons for its frequent death in cultivation . . .

My Filiformis catches plenty of bugs but my VFTs don't. Does this work for all CPs?

Im not sure but i recently decided to try on one of my small typicals i wet the tip of a needle pick up a tiny crumb of betta pellet. Then i touch the triger hair let it close on the needle and move it around inside a couple times to trick the plant into thinking it caught something then i just pull out the needle and the crumb stays in the trap. That was barely a week ago so i cant say.

Im not sure but i recently decided to try on one of my small typicals i wet the tip of a needle pick up a tiny crumb of betta pellet. Then i touch the triger hair let it close on the needle and move it around inside a couple times to trick the plant into thinking it caught something then i just pull out the needle and the crumb stays in the trap. That was barely a week ago so i cant say.
Ok cool I'd definitely love to hear about your findings. We've been getting slammed by T-Storms the past 2 weeks so the rain has been triggering all of my traps. Hope the added stress doesn't kill them since I just recently repotted them also

My lovely flowering monster (which I will post a picture of if I can catch a flower open) Drosera spatulata catches tons (and I mean tons) of bugs, but they're tiny. It has never caught anything larger than gnat-size. I don't know if that's bad or good, but it's making stalks at an incredible rate. I don't really feed my plants since here in northeast Ohio, when summer rolls around, these plants are gluttons, absolute gluttons. Particularly pitcher plants.

I feed some because i grow all of them indoors they do catch gnats every now and then the only ones i dont feed are my filiformis, capensis and my big capensis×spatulata they have no trouble catching bugs and especialy spathulata Frasier island for some reason its a death trap for bugs i dont no why they just seem to be attracted to it. I think it catches more bugs then the others put together.

Ok cool I'd definitely love to hear about your findings. We've been getting slammed by T-Storms the past 2 weeks so the rain has been triggering all of my traps. Hope the added stress doesn't kill them since I just recently repotted them also

Shouldnt be a problem same thung happened to me with my vft but they all the traps opened back up by the next day except a few.

Shouldnt be a problem same thing happened to me with all my vft but all the traps opened back up by the next day except a few.

Binatas are gluttons as well. They stalks will become totally black with corpses of their victims.

I don't really feed any of my plant, indoors or out. They all seem to catch more than their share. Mostly gnats/fruit flies but I have seen a moth or two as well. One of my flytraps outside recently ate a stink bug. Ew! Lol. If I haven't noticed them catch something in a month then I do assist with frozen blood worm larvae.

Back