What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

such an amatuer

i'm so pleased to have found this forum, but i feel like such a noob! :blush:

i put in a lovely little bog garden with a CP collection i bought online. then i discovered those "death cubes" at lowe's- which i bring home and put into the bog. so far, everything is growing very well (with the execption of a few bug bites).

i got a S. purpurea venosa at lowe's and it's growing like mad. however, it's got these long grass like things growing straight from the middle of the plant. i thought at first, it was just part of the plant, but i'm not so sure.

i've never seen a single purpurea photo with "grass" growing from the middle. it almost looks like a small, aquatic reed type growth...maybe 2 feet tall or so.

supposed to be there or pesky weed???

Are you sure it's not a flower stalk?

...supposed to be there or pesky weed???
I suspect that you'd recognize a flower stalk - so yes - pesky weed (although pics are always good). If you let it get 2 ft tall, you've probably got a big mass of roots down below ... :0o:

Jennifer,
Don't worry. It's probably some type of bog plant. In my collection, I have Bog Buttons growing, dwarf cattails, iris's, orchids, sedges, utric's, drosera's, pings and other plants of all types. It's going to happen and to keep it really clean is too hard. They don't hurt the carnivores and it looks like a real bog in the end. What i would do is just keep it trimmed.

i actually had to move th bog this weekend... so everything got dug up and moved. the roots weren't too bad.

i didn't trim it at first because...well... i thought it was supposed to be there.

thanks guys! you always make me feel better. :)

Can ya post a picture?

That's what many call "bog grass." I would dig it up and repot it in a seperate pot. It's kindof cool. It can tolerate low light and just looks plain neat. However, I would only keep one pot of it, and kill any other "weeds" that you find.

Just my thoughts :)

Back