What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Successful Pollination

dionae

sarracenia lover
Hi everyone! Is there anything to look for to let me know that I successfully pollinated a sarracenia flower? Thanks in advance!

If you succeeded in pollinating it, the petals will drop off and most of the time the flower will tilt sideways, the sepals flaring outward. After a few weeks to a month, there will be noticeable swelling of the ovary.

Okay but what if it was unsuccessful? Would there be a difference? Thanks!

no, the flower would look the same and eventually die, as if you never tried to pollinate it. swelling means pollinated, no swelling after a couple weeks means it didn't work. I like to personally attempt to pollinate a flower multiple times over a day with the same q-tip so i can try and be sure the flower gets pollinated. If you are successful, your flower should look something like this... http://www.rayandtrish.com/Pollinate%20a%20Sarracenia/iBTopicHow%20to%20Pollinate%20a%20Sarracenia%20Flower_files/FertilizedRS.jpg

Thanks! I'll post some pics tomorrow but I think I pollinated them.

Trust me...a swollen ovary does not always mean success. I have cracked open many swollen ovaries in the fall only to find an empty casing. It is true however that if it doesn't swell, it was not successful. Pollenating over the course of one day does not guarantee success since the stigmas may not be receptive on that day. Pollenating over the course of several days usually guarantees success since the stigmas are usually receptive for only a few days depending on the weather (at least in my experience).

I agree with Fred. Sometimes you will even see small brown bodies in the ovaries too, but these seeds are sterile and are about 1/4 the size of an actual seed. You just won't know until you open it. I posted a picture (I can't seem to find it) of an actual pollinated, viable seed compared to a sterile body.

Thank you Fred and Brokken!

Wasn't it NaN that said he had seen too many false pregnancies in his past experience?

Yes I have said that. Everything FredP says is spot on.There is a "window" when the stigma are in maximum receptivity. It always pays to repeat the pollination over the course of several days. Indeed as Trent Meeks and/or Phil Sheridan have observed repeated pollination tends to lead to heavier seed sets. I can confirm that observation.

Last edited:
Thank you joosa and NaN!

Back