What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Story of Goliath and the three guehois

Cindy

Staff member
A single 'Goliath' and three guehoi plants are all I've got so the assumption is that the IDs are as labelled.

Group photo
B. 'Goliath' (left) and B. guehoi (right)
byblis_Goliath_guehoi.jpg

Strange things, the fruits...
B. guehoi(B) and (C) fruits almost always hang down while...
byblis_guehoi_fruits.jpg

B. 'Goliath' fruits face upwards!
byblis_Goliath_x_guehoiB.jpg

Seeds - interesting shapes and numbers

B. guehoi(A) - pedicels are all upright except for 2-3 which are horizontal to the ground and never downwards
byblis_guehoi_seeds.jpg

The hybrid seeds are numerous (130-135) compared to the guehoi seeds (22).
byblis_hybrid_guehoi_seeds1.jpg

Hybrid seeds seem more angular than guehoi seeds which are more oval.
byblis_hybrid_guehoi_seeds.jpg

The weather is changing and I can't sow the seeds until the next season to see how the hybrid will look like. But I hope they are viable. :-O

Wow, thanks for putting them side by side! You don't usually get a comparison of the different seed shapes and stuff :)

maybe the shape shows they are not viable? very interesting comparison perhaps only one or two of the hybrid seeds will germinate but would be very interesting if any do. Also really like the title of this thread please posta followup when the condition are right to sow the seed good luck

Hi everyone,

I am glad to share that the B. "Goliath" x guehoi seeds are viable! ;D

Ten days ago, I finally gave in and soaked 100 "Goliath" x guehoi seeds in GA3 for 24 hours (despite the weather turning rainy).

Today, about 45 of them have germinated and the tallest is slightly more than 1/5", with three leaves.

Cheers!!

Exciting, great news!

This specie of plant is finding my interest more and more, seeing them in person at the NECPS show really caught my attention.

How are the seeds being germinated/grown? And in what conditions?

Exciting, great news!

This specie of plant is finding my interest more and more, seeing them in person at the NECPS show really caught my attention.

How are the seeds being germinated/grown? And in what conditions?

The seeds were sown on a mix of LFS, sand and peat. The box was covered and placed under T5 lights as there is not much direct sunlight this season. When the first sprouts appeared, the cover was removed to lower the humidity. The current temperatures range from 25C to 32C. Ambient humidity is about 80-90%.

It would interesting to see how the hybrid turned out. :-O

Parents
B. "Goliath" - bore the fruits; currently over 95cm tall, was a single stem until about 85cm in height when branching took place
B. guehoi (A) - pollen used; branched very early and produced lots of flowers

:bigthumpup: Congrats to you, Cindy! This sounds like a very interesting hybrid. I've never heard of anyone making a Byblis cross before. Pleeese keep us updated on the new seedlings!

- Mark

Here's a pic of the seedlings. All look very typical.

6241222178_452a256577_z.jpg

This is an excellent display of Byblis hybridization. Thank you for sharing! It's not very often that my interest returns to Byblis. :)

Wow, what a project! So I need to procure some Giberallic Acid?

Brian Barnes has successfully crossed B. "Goliath" and B. rorida last year.

Thanks, and an apology to Brian - a real achievement.

Seedlings are looking good!

- Mark

Back