What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Greetings. I'm starting a new carnivorous plant terrarium this week. I don't have any pictures yet, but I'll give you a preview of what it will have by the end of the week:

20 gallon terrarium
125watt CFL
greenhouse style terrarium

At least 6 different Pinguiculas (Lutea, Caerulea, Agnata, Seductora, etc)
Heliamphoras
Cephalotus
Nepenthes
Droseras (Filiformis red, capensis, adelae, pygmies, etc)
Utricularias
Genlisea

Already have the tank and lights ready. Pots and soil are on standby. Plants are arriving this week.

Wow, that's an eclectic mix. How are you going to povide all the different environments that those different species need in one terrarium?

Sounds cool! What exactly do you mean that it will be a "greenhouse style" terrarium?

What are the dimensions? That seems like an awful lot to keep in there...at least long term.

Not to mention, as mobile said, not everything is going to be at their optimal growing conditions by default.

Sounds cool! What exactly do you mean that it will be a "greenhouse style" terrarium?

In the Savage Garden, greenhouse style means plants sit in individual pots and saucers.

What are the dimensions? That seems like an awful lot to keep in there...at least long term.

Not to mention, as mobile said, not everything is going to be at their optimal growing conditions by default.

Dimensions are 16'' tall, 24'' long, and 12'' wide. It'll fit eight 5'' pots and a 4'' pot. Temperature should be around 80-85F with nighttime cooling.

i will be interested to see some pictures

The Helis and Cephs would appreciate cooler daytime temps, as well as a good 10 degree drop at night. I would shoot for about 75F max daytime temp, and about 60-65F nighttime temp. Also, be careful of too much or too little humidity. Too little and the Helis may not appreciate it, though they can certainly tolerate lower humidity if properly acclimated. Too much humidity, you may run into fungus, mold, or other problems. Another problem with too much humidity is that Cephalotus does not do well sitting in water, or constantly being moist. Crown rot can occur if the humidity is too high.

Looks like a fun group of plants there, though as mobile said, that is a wide range of climatic requirements. Looking forward to more information and pics. Good luck!

Back