What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring is here in Massachusetts

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Well, in the eyes of ants it is spring. :-D

Formica worker with a worm.
003.jpg

I also saw a Poliste fuscatus queen but, she flew off. So here is a Poliste dominula queen.
009.jpg

010.jpg

Nice pictures.
So that "bee" is really an ant?
If it is, that's crazy.

lol, no but they are still close relatives. Its just your every day queen European paper wasp.

Ha, ok.
(Although it wouldn't surprise me too much based on other types of camouflage I've seen on insects.)

Thanks for sharing those pictures. Very well shot. In my eyes, it certainly isn't spring around here since it was sending down ice for 24 hours and now snow...

xvart.

edit: what is it about the ant behavior that means it is spring? Just because they are out and about doing business?

More or less, it means the ground has thawed out completely and usually when the first Formica worker comes out, that generally means that there wont be below freezing and days should be getting above 50 pretty consistently.

also thanks for the compliments on the pictures. I would have had more of actual ants if they didn't have such good eye sight! Every time I walked to a nest entrance they all went underground. I was also surprised I was able to get all 5 eyes on the wasp. The three dots on top of the wasp are call Ocelli. They are simple eyes that tell the wasp witch way the nest is and witch way is up. I can't wait until Easter. My mom finally promised to get me a canon slr camera!

I just took a picture of a little jumping spider I found. Not my best work, not my worst either. He wouldn't hold still. :0o:

009-1.jpg

I thought only bees had workers/queens and the wasps fly around laying eggs in caterpillars and other bugs?

I like the photos.

I won't criticize Canon since that's what we have, but why are you focused on getting a Canon SLR instead of another brand? Does someone in the family already have Canon equipment? There's little doubt that Canon & Nikon have the best SLR lenses and many consider the best Canon lenses to be superior to the best Nikon lenses. However, unless you're planning to spend $500+ (or often +++) per lens, you won't be getting their best lenses. Other companies are competitive in the slightly less than exceptional lens range, so I wouldn't rule anything out yet. Be careful because all companies, including Canon and Nikon, produce a lot of garbage lenses, especially in zooms. The lens is the critical component and, although it isn't as true as it was in the days of film, the camera is just a box the lens attaches to. I assume you're especially interested in macro, so research what's available and what you can afford and let that lead you to your camera.

i thought ants were naturally blind, but i might be completely wrong about that

I want a canon because I want the best macro lens, and a professional photographer gave in the best review on insect photography. I should be able to get the lens next year too. So its worth it. I also plan to take a digital photography class next year too.

Nepfreak, yes, its true that their are a lot of non-social wasps out their but, that goes for bees as well. These wasps are closer related to hornets, yellow jackets, and ants. Also their workers and queens are very borderline, the larger workers are capable of mating and laying fertile if the queen dies. Also all workers are capable of laying infertile eggs that become males. Have you ever seen those small single comb nest under roofs? Well those nests belong to poliste wasps.

Nep lover, most ants can see. Some ants can't while others can see you long before you can see them. Formica are one of the better seeing ants and most also have ocelli you see on wasps. So if you were to approach an active nest entrance you should be able to see the workers hide from you.

ahh ok that explains alot hehe thanks

Now I'm curious. Is it this lens http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/mp-e-65.shtml?

That's some impressive glass but, at $900 or so for a lens that has no use other than macro, it's way out of my league. On the other hand, that's probably money well spent for an ant person and I look forward to seeing your future photos, whether through that lens or something a little less pricey.

yup! that is the one!

Back