What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum: Lowland or Highland?

Does sphagnum grow better in lowland or highland conditions? Right now I have some in my lowland tank but I am wondering if I should make a mini highland tank to grow some in there.

There are threads on other forums that come up if you put those exact words into google search, lol.

I don't believe any sphagnum species would require you to build a special HL tank for it. Room temperature (or a little lower, or higher) is fine. Some, apparently do like a dormancy period in winter, but I'm still not 100% convinced that they need it. Better safe than sorry, though, I guess.

Hi, I grow all.my sphagnum moss in lowland conditions 75-90F. Most are highland and montane species but do equally well as long as high humidity is maintained. Cheers!

Thanks guys! Might just put some in a mini fishtank with some icepacks and see if it grows differently.

In my experience sphagnum grows well in a highland tank, however I have never had lowlanders. Sphagnum , if you think about it, is one of the easiest plants to grow, and I believe its marked as extremely eco-friendly to grow. It holds something like 10 times its own weight in water, and doesn't need many nutrients to grow.

I usually have to trim mine often (like grass) and it grows back fine. The cut off tips regenerate easily, and the tips usually create new plants. The more you think about it the slower it will grow. Hope this helps.

I've found it doesn't matter. I have mine in a highland terrarium, but that's just where it was easiest to put. I'm not sure if mine is supposed to go dormant or not, but it's gone two years with no issue. And the more you ignore it the better it grows. Just don't let it turn white.

Does sphagnum grow better in lowland or highland conditions? Right now I have some in my lowland tank but I am wondering if I should make a mini highland tank to grow some in there.

Where did you get it? Is it a temperate species, or a sub-tropical species? Tropical species do not require a cold winter dormancy, but temperate species do.

Not sure where some of mine came from, but I finally have a small patch, bout 6" in diameter that has "taken" in the large bog and over winters well outside, coastal zone 7

I"ve grown them in both. I've had sphagnum thrive in LL conditions. I've then taken some of that same "LL" sphagnum and place it with my "HL" neps and it grow just as vigorous as when it was in the "LL" conditions. So depending on what type of sphagnum it can grow equally as well in either LL or HL. I don't know where that particular sphagnum came from but for what its worth its the type that grows in very tight compact "heads".

Last edited:
Back