What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some sad plants

First up: small jamban(?) seedling. Germinated in March with the others, but this one is super tiny and not very happy with me. I think it's enjoying the colder weather more than this summer though. It's pale yellowish green (the black are old pitchers I can't cut off yet cuz it's too small for my scissors). This guy lives in my rajah pot under the lamp with 8am-10pm photoperiod. I spray it very often (the moss dries out easily), temps mid 60-70 to 50ish at night. Either (a) sick, (b) genetically retarded, (c) manic-depressive, or (d) some slow-growing ultahighlander hybrid maybe?
S6301238.jpg

S6301239.jpg

S6301240.jpg

Second: My poor SG dubia. It was so happy for the longest time, then it started sulking around July-August. I repotted in August, and it's literally looked like this since then. First pic is of itty bitty root system from August, other pics from today. It's in my window, getting sunlight maybe 10-3 or so and nice cold air at night. I spray it when I can and it's never dry (usually ~60% humidity). Thoughts? Maybe it's just taking 3-4 months to grow new roots (I hope).
P15114719.jpg

S6301241.jpg

S6301243.jpg

What are you using as a top dressing for the N. dubia? It doesn't look like Sphagnum. Is it mixed into the soil at all?

Sorry to hear they are sulking. They may perk up as the weather cools. How are you watering? Are they on trays? What kind of soil are you using?

That's moss from my backyard at home. It may be suspicious, but I have it other pots and those plants don't seem affected at all. It's just a top dressing, the potting mix is 50/50 washed lfs and perlite.

I top water every few days or when they look really dry, none of my neps sit in trays. I'm hoping it'll do better in the next few weeks :/

Ok, next questions: :D

What kind of water? Light looks OK, so... let's see.... What are your summer tempos, high and low, and you winter temps, high and low? What is the humidity range throughout the day?

50/50 LFS/perlite. That sounds OK, unless someone else chimes in. My only thought there is that LFS tends to decay quickly.

Water is distilled ever since I got my ceph back in January.

Hmm summer temps maybe 70's to low 80's sometimes and 60ish nights. Winter is 60's to low 70's with high 40's to 50ish nights (varies with weather etc). I was considering if my dubia didn't cool down enough over the summer, but it and my inermis were okay.

The temps sound OK for regular HL. NOIT UHL, but I don't think any of those are.

The N. dubia definitely had some root rot issues. Plant it all the way up to the bottom of the leaves. I'd think about trying a perlite/fine orchid bark/APS mix/LFS mix. Maybe someone else can come into the conversation and help fine tune that mix. How are the roots on the N. jamban seedling? Be careful.

When I potted my little guy into the lfs it had one really long root as I remember, looked pretty good.

When I potted my dubia in August I stuck it in about halfway down the stem. I didn't know you could/it would be good to pot all the way up to the leaves. I'll have to try that soon thanks!

Well, hopefully someone will come in to double-check my mix. This is what I use, but with a peppering of peat.

I had a thought. Some of my GH plants have been suffering from degrading soil, as well, that's why I'm switching to the new mix, but also some have been getting yellow spots. After a recent nuking with some Ortho 3-in-1 (and killing my D. admirabilis in the process), the yellow spots seem to have stopped coming back. For me, at least, I apparently had either a fungus or a pest, maybe thrips, definitely aphids. You might want to look into that. Don't get the Ortho, get the Bayer, I think. Ask Kulamauiman.

Back