What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some repotting/maintenance pics

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

Just decided that I should repot some of my cephs. One of the pots was at the floor of my 3' tall tanks and as ucan see...very green and not that great. Another one wasin a communal pot with other things..but you can see the media was looking very bad. The VFTs were starting to die, so I figured I might as well repot them all. So here are a few pics I took from my new iPhone 4.

So here it is...this guy was 3' away from the lights.

5095478034_f553fb730d_z.jpg

Here is how he looks unpotted

5094876789_dd6ab87d18_z.jpg

I cut off all the foliage and potted it up in a new pot and placed it closer to the light. Lets see hwo it does.

Here is a ceph in the communal pot. I recently placed a CFL like 3' away on the outside of the tank. Clearly appreciates the increased light.

5094887461_2ba6c2ce92_z.jpg

5095469582_3c89e74a3e_z.jpg

look at the bad state of media:

5094885401_d3249dbc62_z.jpg

5094882309_aee3f911f8_z.jpg

excuse the toilet.. lol....cleaned the sarrs in the sink and cut off all the top growth and potted it all in a new pot.

5094874939_ee27f850ef_z.jpg

And here is something totally unrelated:

B. reducta: it has white hairy thick roots. Doing great as an epiphyte. :)

5095471628_9a72b448df_z.jpg

Great pics! I love that bromeliad. Oh yeah, and the cephs are cool too... ;)

I love my iPhone 4 too - I snap the pics, upload them to Picasa with Pixelpipe, and then just copy and paste the link right into my posts... simple!

That B. reducta is one of the carnivorous ones, right? How long have you had it? If it can grow as an epiphyte, i may have to add it to my list...

Noice plants! Not to be rude, but that B. reducta looks kinda etiolated. :B

Thanks guys....but yeah...technically speaking, its not a pure epiphyte.. You can notice a big wad of sphagnum. So it does have its media. Its just not in a pot. The hard thing with growing these things as epiphytes (as with anything else I have tried) is to keep it consistently damp. When I used to have a fan in the tank, the B. reducta didn't get enough water. Once I took off the fan, and placed it at the floor of the tank, it started liking the high humidity and abundant moisture.

Hmm..I must have the B. reducta for nearly...5-6 months now. For almost 4/5 of those months it was grown very dry and didn't like it. Only in the last month or 2 I ahve had it growing in very humid...somewhat stale conditions and it prefers high humidity with the lack of a proper meda.

this was when I got it

5095116535_a14cbbb3e6_z.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

Noice plants! Not to be rude, but that B. reducta looks kinda etiolated. :B

Oh please! you are not rude and I totally know it myself. :) It was 3' away from the lights at the bottom of the tank. I have just moved it up by a foot in line with other broms that I have. B. reducta enjoy full sunshine and become a tube when grown in good light. So yeah... I am waaaay off the required light.

Back