What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some questions on using chemicals in a greenhouse

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
So yeah, I've got a ton of Greenshield (looked it up and it's the same thing as Physan 20.) I sterilize tools and repotting spaces/used pots with it. Is this OK to sterilize new plants with before repotting? It supposedly kills everything.. viruses, fungi, bacteria, and algae. It seems ok to use on plants but CP's aren't begonias so...

Also Marathon systematic insecticide. OK or not?

Also Envirocide is used a lot in out labs. Tons of the stuff. Everywhere. I figured I'd use it whenever I clear the growing racks and floor of the greenhouse, and maybe even the pots, but is it OK to spray on things like fungi growing on the soil?

I've got a ton of all of this stuff and shouldn't spend my own cash on something like neem oil when I've got gallons of this crap, I figure. Is it safe? If so, should I dilute it to what the recommendations say or dilute it even further? I'm kind of paranoid about pathogen infection. I've never dealt with a real greenhouse before. Air circulation and all that jazz is fine.

I'm using Trichoderma in my Cephalotus pots. I'm gonna guess it's not OK to use anything that sterilizes anything with that lol, or would it just sterilize the surface of the media? If I did get a new plant, and treated it to kill any nasties that the other grower before me may have had lurking, how long should I wait before inoculating with Trichoderma? I love the stuff.

The Metrex Envirocide has Ethylene Glycol, Isopropanol, Monobutyl Ether (wasn't sure about that last ingredient...)

the Greenshield has Active Ingredients:
N-alkyl (60% C14 , 30% C16 , 5% C12 , 5% C18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chlorides: 10%
N-alkyl (68% C12 , 32% C14 ) dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chlorides: 10%

I figure the best thing to do would be to use the Envirocide on the growing racks, pots and floors and use the greenshield to pretreat plants and to treat them if something goes wrong.

I also didn't know if Marathon systematic insecticide pellets were OK. I've honestly never had any problems in the past with anything really other than the occasional preventative spray of neem-based fungicide, I just want to know what to do before I need to do anything, and what's OK to use for routine sterilization of the area.
Thanks,

Clint

No one knew the answer to this, so I used it anyway a few days later when there were no replies. The answer's no, it doesn't bother them at all IME, even in higher concentrations.

Back