What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some new pics from here and there.....

An uncommonly shown species, that seems to finally actually be doing well for me
N. tomoriana BE-3344 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. tomoriana BE-3344 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Old:
N. robcantleyi x maxima BE-3428 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
vs. new:
This plant actually came to me labeled as the tomoriana above, but pretty sure it's the mystery "not mindanaoensis" that plant was labeled as
N. BE-3122 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. BE-3122 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. sp. Madja-as by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Teeth...
And after so long, my glorious giant is finally pitchering again on the regular!
N. "Brunei Giant Red" BE-88 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

I should not be looking at your thread because it's making me want to buy more plants :oops:

So do you have N.neoguineensis? I think I remember you having had it but I'm not sure, and I'm trying to find out if it would grow in my conditions or not (essentially normal household temps, with a 10 degree dip at night). I've been thinking about it for a handful of years and maybe it's time to get one if it's still on my mind, if it would survive.

Once upon a time I had a seed-grown one (supposedly, if the seeds were correctly labeled) but it died a long time ago, with several potential reasons why that I won't try untangling. There was one for sale on ebay not long ago from someone who lives nearby, but I could not afford trying to beat that ending bid.

Once upon a time I had a seed-grown one (supposedly, if the seeds were correctly labeled) but it died a long time ago, with several potential reasons why that I won't try untangling. There was one for sale on ebay not long ago from someone who lives nearby, but I could not afford trying to beat that ending bid.

I won't even ask how much it ended up being considering the breath-taking prices I'm seeing on the market :-))

Last edited:
$68. Were I not broke I might have gone for it, as it was not a terrible price for the size of the plant, but as-is...well, I'm broke. On that note: know anyone looking for a pet snake?

Oh that's not too bad actually, but I wouldn't spend it on anything I thought I'd kill that being said. And that's why I haven't bought campanulata yet again!

Unfortunately not on the snake front. I know Ozzy on here is big into snakes but he's quite far away from you. There is a big-ish snake channel on youtube called Snake Discovery, and while I think they might be up in MN, maybe if you reached out to them they might have a good snake network for you to get in touch with?

Reptile classifieds sites and FB groups are more reliable than trying to contact a YouTube personality usually, and I've already posted across a bunch; distances also don't matter so long as someone's in the US, it's not hard shipping animals so long as the weather cooperates. It's just finding people who are willing to actually buy the animals and not ask for free handouts or ridiculous price slashes (if you can't/aren't willing to afford the animal, I don't trust you to be able to afford its necessary care), and building a good reputation (which is really hard when you're a relatively new breeder online and have all of one review thus far). I posted photos of one of the new babies in the snake thread too; they're adorable and uncommon animals but the uncommon part partly factors into difficulty in getting people to buy them since nobody knows about them.

Anyway, plant pics:
I want another flower on this thing already; I have bical pollen coming in at some point soon, and I really want to snag hamata from somewhere too
N. boschiana BE-3448 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And this thing needs a pot upgrade; luckily a new tent means I might actually have the room to rearrange and give it a decently sized pot
N. albomarginata BE-3004 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Also need to upgrade this one
N. spathulata x jacquelineae by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ventricosa x talangensis Clone C by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ventricosa x talangensis Clone B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ventricosa x talangensis Clone B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ampullaria "Harlequin" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ampullaria "Harlequin" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. x splendiana x mixta Clone C by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Another plant that needs an upgrade, and a move into the new tent probably
N. burbidgeae x platychila by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. rafflesiana "var. alata" Sajingan by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. rafflesiana "var. alata" Sajingan by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Also needs an upgrade already; been growing like a weed but I need bigger pitchers (and this, is a true thorelii cross, exciting for me)
N. thorelii x hamata by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And that peristome gets oh so much darker
Complex hybrid mimicking boschiana
N. x splendiana x (eymae x ephippiata) by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
So, so much potential
N. lowii x campanulata by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. x hookeriana "Sajingan" Clone C by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
The sibling ampullaria to all the hookeriana I have
N. ampullaria "red speckle" Sajingan by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ampullaria "red speckle" Sajingan by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. graciliflora "Pink" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
This one just keeps needing a bunch of basal trims (which has resulted in a bunch of rooted cuttings off of it), and a heavy trim finally gave me another flower stalk so I have pollen off it.
N. Sunset Songs Clone B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

So... about these grow tents. Now that I'm not somewhere tropical/sub-tropical and relegated to indoor growing I'm trying to figure out how to grow these things. Can you post some pics of your current set-up? Is it like those plastic covered metal racks with some tube lights mounted every shelf, or like a literal tent in your livingroom like some people have had on here before?

I don't photograph the grow areas because they are literally stuffed to the brim with stuff and IMO unsightly to look at overall. The main greenhouse is just a Harbor Freight plastic greenhouse in the living room, the new highland space is a grow tent I was given recently on a payment plan (because I'm broke, record repeating...sigh...). Both are set up with whatever latest LED tube fixtures I can to get it as bright as possible while keeping electrical usage/heat as low as I can (I get tubes that can be linked together where possible to drop usage further and save plugs as well).

Though this starts out pure green, I have recently noticed with age the peristome tends to bronze a fair bit
N. veitchii Batu Lawi by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. maxima "Palu, Sulawesi" SG Clone C by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Turns out the highland house might be just a tad on the cold side for really rapid growth on some plants, but it's making some nice colors...
N. truncata x mikei by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. x mixta by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Since taking these the peristome on this plant has developed its proper scalloping and blood-red color
glabrata is loving its new conditions; pitchers are a little slow to develop but the leaves are jumping in size, red-flushed, and the tendrils are growing huge
N. glabrata BE-3257 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Another plant seemingly liking the highlands better
N. truncata x aristolochioides by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And slow to leaf out, but developing much better color
N. spathulata x gymnamphora by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
A rare sight: ampullaria upper! Or close to it
N. ampullaria "red speckle" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
I have 4 of these rooted basals looking for new locations!
N. rajah x jacquelineae by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Starts out light colored, eventually ages to blood red
N. mirabilis globosa by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ventricosa x sibuyanensis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ventricosa x sibuyanensis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
New
N. maxima x spectabilis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
vs. well-aged
N. maxima x spectabilis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
This thing is developing a very large pitcher currently...and a second growth point
N. ventricosa x gymnamphora by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. mirabilis "Sajingan" Clone A by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Must get cuttings of this to work again...
N. 'Autumn Wine' by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And this is blooming female!
N. maxima "dark" x 'Effulgent Koto' (female) by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. maxima "dark" x 'Effulgent Koto' (female) by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

This plant is starting to sprout aerial and basal rosettes all over the place...I was hoping the overhead lights would trigger flowers especially since it triggered a couple intermediate pitchers (and testing a probably invalid theory concerning phosphorus to try and convince it), but a vine full of pitchers is also nice
N. ampullaria "red speckle, Sajingan" SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And, took a photo of this right when it arrived because I honestly have no idea if I will get this cutting to root. But fingers crossed...
N. madagascariensis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. Sunset Songs Clone A x robcantleyi by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ventricosa x talangensis Clone A by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
I have 3 primary hamata hybrids now, but only one has decent pitchers at the moment (the other two are either too new to have any or dropped them due to an unexpectedly strong fertilizer reaction). But those pitchers are phenomenal...
Oh the teeth...I'm hoping the new mirabilis globosa x hamata and this might be a pair sex-wise so I can try a hand at making a "lowland hamata"
And I have this brilliant pitcher downstairs...dying for uppers
Also now not only have pitchers on the basal of this ridiculously skinny hybrid, but the overhead lights seem to have triggered an intermediate pitcher on the main vine finally! Uppers, and maybe flowers, could be in sight soon!
N. x splendiana x vogelii by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. x splendiana x vogelii by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Complex as the parentage is on this, I have no clue what mature lower (or upper) pitchers will look like at all. And this is one of 2 clones, the other being a bit slower to adapt to the highland tent.
N. (x splendiana x tiveyi) x ((inermis x singalana) x mira) by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
One of at least 3, maybe 4 winged hookeriana...only one out of the batch doesn't have the trait for sure so far.
N. x hookeriana "winged tendril" Clone A by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. x hookeriana "winged tendril" Clone A by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And this thing finally had all its seedpods ripen! I'm really hoping the seeds are just on the small side but still viable, because that was too good a set for all of them to be chaff, especially since obvious chaff was also present. And the crosses are just too promising...
Lovely glabrata pitchers getting bigger...and redder
Newly opened:
And after about a week:
N. Black Dragon by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
I've got a basal on one of these now, very maxima-esque
N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x (spathulata x mira) by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Last month's POTM entry after darkening more
My only disappointment with this plant: I had thought it was about to bloom for me again, but instead it was just an oddly folded leaf...
And lastly: spath x jacq now has not only these big, lovely pitchers, but a second growth point

Perhaps I should have waited and entered this pitcher in the POTM...
N. 'Helen' x spectabilis Clone A by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And I'm shocked that this plant is not really popular; I get basals off of it all the time rooting left and right, but still have most of them at the house
N. Rokko "Exotica" x (spectabilis x mira) by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. Rokko "Exotica" x (spectabilis x mira) by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ventricosa x tiveyi Clone B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. x splendiana x mixta Clone B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Only one so far with this kind of profile...but there are still 2 that haven't yet gotten big enough to show their mature traits
N. rafflesiana "winged tendril" SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. rafflesiana "winged tendril" SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Mystery plant that's rather frustrating me at this point; I really would have liked to see what a clip x jacquelineae cross would produce, but then I saw that the cross might actually be x izumiae...and now the questionable parentage has been changed to bongso. It's gonna have odd-shaped, dark pitchers one way or another, but I need really big, mature pitchers now to tell what the other parent actually is.
N. clipeata x ? by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
No mystery here, just needs more size
N. (lowii x talangensis) x vogelii Clone B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Like this size
N. rafflesiana x hemsleyana "Brunei Giant Red BE-88" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. rafflesiana x hemsleyana "Brunei Giant Red BE-88" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And this guy is still alive...moved up to a bigger pot because the roots were sticking out the bottom. I have high hopes for an outlier oddity collection developing soon, if this one stays alive, I can get madagascariensis to root, and the vieillardii I won recently to stick around. Will just need masoalensis, distillatoria, and then to replace my poor khasiana to complete it.
N. pervillei by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And lastly: surprise basal pitcher I found behind the burb x rob's pot, signaling that it's back to making traps again.
N. burbidgeae x robcantleyi by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

On the oddball collection --
Nice, I've killed so many pervillei's I stopped even trying LOL. I really like khasi crosses so I've been trying to track just the species down for a while but it doesn't seem to be on the market really. Gave away a madagascariensis before too which I sort of regret because they killed it and I just haven't gotten around to getting a new one since.

Is that rob x maxima from a single clone or seed? It's a really nice plant and maaayyyyybe I need one too.

I know of an FB auction going on for khasi right now, and a female too...but unfortunately it's already gone way over any price range I could manage right now, so my wait continues. And I seem to have really oddly good luck at least for a while with things that are supposed to be hard to grow (all 3 perennial Byblis are growing like weeds, the pervillei lives and seems to be gaining size, the madagascariensis may actually root for me, Roridula is taking off rapidly, etc.) while I kill the weeds...
The robcantleyi x maxima has the clonal data on the photo, and it was a rooted cutting (actually several, I kept 2) I got from someone on here actually that said it's a female. As it's developing brilliantly red leaves and getting large now I'm hoping I will see proof of that somewhere in the nearer future (and perhaps cross it with the bical or spectabilis x hamata pollen I managed to snag).

Big photo dump...
This is supposed to be a SG stenophylla; have another somewhat similar leaved plant but it has more colorful pitchers. We'll see what they mature to
N. stenophylla SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And still not rooted...but got another nice little pitcher off this cutting. At least I have a reference photo for the Database
N. madagascariensis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Glorious fat pitchers and winged tendrils
N. x hookeriana "winged tendril" Clone C by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Getting some nice dark pitchers off this now; even darker on the way
N. maxima x talangensis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Young but with promise...and the lighter, thinner of the two big seedlings, but the faster grower naturally
N. boschiana BE-3448 x (merrilliana x campanulata) Clone B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
New on left, old on right
Aged Batu Lawi; another pitcher just recently opened even fatter, and bright green again
Another old and new
Lots of really fat, dark pitchers forming on 3 of the 4 clones of this I kept
And another dark hopeful monster
N. bongso BE-3036 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. bongso BE-3036 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Beautiful upper; and it's blooming again, lots of pollen available/soon to be available
N. ceciliae by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
I lost my plants of this, but had someone send one back. It's actually making pitchers now
N. Rokko "Exotica" x ((inermis x singalana) x mira) by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Couple SG maxima developing wavy leaves
N. maxima "Palu, Sulawesi" Clone D by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. lavicola SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Teeny but pretty
N. Rokko "Exotica" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Intermediate; starting to make some closer to uppers too
N. ("Viking" x rafflesiana) x ventricosa "red" Clone B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ("Viking" x rafflesiana) x ventricosa "red" Clone B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
This young pitcher obviously shows the rajah influence; a bit small to sport the jacq peristome though
Gloriously dark...
Tiny but promising
N. singalana Masurai Plateau by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ventricosa x tiveyi Clone D by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And every time I post a picture of my glabrata here, it's already produced an even bigger, better set of pitchers since the photo was taken
Better even than all of these
N. chang by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
All the "extras;" my selected initial 6 suggest these will all get big and beautifully dark
N. ventricosa "K" EP x gracillima? AW by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Can't decide; is this one better:
Or this one?
N. 'Helen' x spectabilis Clone C by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Biggest truncata pitcher yet
N. truncata Lowland SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. truncata Lowland SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. truncata x spectabilis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. truncata x spectabilis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. glandulifera x platychila by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
A glorious promise: life in one of the 3 crosses I was really looking forward too off my lowii x camp female
N. (lowii x campanulata) x clipeata by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
More in second post...

- - - Updated - - -

Getting oh so dark
Lower pitchers looking very different
And the leaves are beautiful too
Another update on the big thez-yo cross
N. (sp. Indochina x campanulata) x platychila Clone A by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. (sp. Indochina x campanulata) x platychila Clone A by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ventricosa "red" x (spathulata x spectabilis) by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ventricosa "red" x (spathulata x spectabilis) by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Are these different? A little more maturity will probably help
N. suratensis? by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. kongkandana? by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. vieillardii by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. vieillardii by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Doing a great imitation of a pure aristo

Things are starting to develop so fast in the highland house that half these photos are already outdated and boring compared to the new ones... but oh well.
The 2nd biggest pitcher currently on this plant, and the 2nd darkest:
N. maxima x talangensis SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Snapped a flower stalk off this thing, dammit... but there's a chance the piece will root and maybe the stalk will stick around. We'll see. Or another one develops.
N. Rokko "Exotica" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Smaller of the 2 clones, bigger one is finally readying its first pitcher in the highland house
N. (lowii x talangensis) x vogelii Clone B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Black Dragon living up to its name
This plant:
N. gracilis "Singkawang" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
and this one, which I've now verified the nickname for, are both vying for that nickname now. Both make really, really dark pitchers both upper and lower (the other side of the pitcher below turned out to be far darker than the visible side here), and the leaves tend to turn purple-black in moderate to strong light
N. gracilis "Shadow?" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
The keepers of a cross for which I've got a bunch of extras
Turning out more toothy than expected, and still very young. Hoping size goes up come summer, since it's staying rather stagnant at the moment.
N. mirabilis globosa x hamata by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. rafflesiana "winged tendril' SG Clone A by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. rafflesiana "winged tendril' SG Clone A by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. clipeata x bongso? by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Oh so lovely and fat...and I still have a rooted basal around.
N. talangensis x robcantleyi by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Need a flower...
N. platychila x robcantleyi by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. platychila x robcantleyi by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Finally got a pitcher big enough to ID on this seed-grown plant...and it's only just started to darken
N. izumiae Pasaman SG Clone B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. izumiae Pasaman SG Clone B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And tons of pollen falling off this right now.
N. albomarginata BE-3004 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

More to come (several posts apparently, since it seems there's now a 20 image and 10,000 character limit in each post...)

Exceedingly fattay
N. sumatrana "Nias" SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And new pitchers have already made this one look boring:
N. longifolia "dark" SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And these fat things have also been already outshined
Still puttering along...and leaves are getting bigger since it's shaded by other leaves in part, hopefully the pitchers follow
N. pervillei by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Weird little uppers that I'm loving on this thing
N. ventricosa "red" SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ventricosa "red" SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And it's blooming female; already have some tantalizing crosses intended including with bicalcarata, veitchii, naga, and platychila (if the latter pollen actually shows up)
N. ventricosa 'red' SG Clone a by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
New and old, love the contrast
N. graciliflora "pink" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. graciliflora "pink" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

That N. Rafflesiana x Hemsleyana, what a cross! 👀🥴😍

Thanks for sharing

One of now several very toothy things here that need to step up the size already...
N. hamata x robcantleyi by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Vs. an almost toothless greenie that hasn't shown off for a while (needs a repot though)
N. merrilliana x campanulata by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And finally...finally, I have it!!! And this is a female clone no less
N. hamata Gunung Lumut AW Clone 4 (female!)" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Of all the vent x talang clones, by far the fattest
The darker of the 2 izumiae clones I have...and used to be the bigger, but now dwarfed by Clone B
N. izumiae "Pasaman" SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
So much hairy, stripy potential
N. glandulifera x platychila by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Also hairy and stripy
Don't think I've ever had a normal trap on this thing
N. ventricosa "ICPS" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. ventricosa "ICPS" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
N. stenophylla SG by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
FAT. And that peristome will probably eventually turn almost black
N. ventricosa x sibuyanensis Clone A by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
The leaf size jumps have finally started on this one too, hope the pitchers continue the ratio they've had

Back