What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here are a few shots from this morning of some of my outdoor highland Nepenthes (with an odd Australian neighbor tagging along for the ride) -- two of which looked like they were on their last legs as recently as 15 June. Some odd ailment struck both my Nepenthes jamban (picked up in the Spring in a TF trade) as well as N. aristolochioides. I couldn't find any particular pest and all the neighboring plants seemed happy as clams. The affected plants' leaves mysteriously blackened from the tips inward (any ideas out there?) and I honestly thought that I had lost them both; thankfully though, I have now reason to change that opinion . . .

Nepenthes aristolochioides

ARISTO.jpg

ARISTO2.jpg

Nepenthes jamban

NJAMBAN.jpg

JAMBAN.jpg

Here is one of my Nepenthes hamata that had begun its vining process and was trimmed back to its four to six basals some time back; it is just now coming back in force . . .

Nepenthes hamata

NHAMATA-1.jpg

Nepenthes villosa

VILLOSA.jpg

Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Hummer's Giant"

CFHG-1.jpg

wow!! nice plants Bella!! Damn!! The color on some of those is just insane!!!

Spectacular, I want a jamban more and more very time. Could the ailment be Black death? its consists of blackeneing of the growth point for no reason.

wow!! nice plants Bella!! Damn!! The color on some of those is just insane!!!

Thanks . . .

I have the luxury of growing them outdoors in Northern California and there is really no substitute for sunlight, though I do have younger plants under lights . . .

Spectacular, I want a jamban more and more very time. Could the ailment be Black death? its consists of blackeneing of the growth point for no reason.

I really don't know but other plants growing right along side remained totally unaffected. Both plants had been reduced to blackened sticks by June . . .

Glad to see that they have come back. :) The growth spurts in your aristo reminds me of Av8tor's aristo...sheesh...that thing is a beast.

awsome plants! I just love the shape of that jamban!! And of coarse the Hamata... hehe, I love that one. :D

Did Loligo get to post those in the other forum? Neps like the live LFS, right? Same with the Cephs?

Did Loligo get to post those in the other forum? Neps like the live LFS, right? Same with the Cephs?

Yeah, "Loligo1964" managed to post. For some reason or another, I couldn't use "BigBella" on the UK site when I originally joined -- although Bella the dog always makes her appearance. Go figure . . .

Fantastic plants! I really like the aristo and villosa. Thanks for sharing. :D

Just another reason to grow in San Fransisco. The highlanders really love the fog, huh?

Damn they all are nice plants really cool plants heathly plant. Nice collection BigBella.

The area with its high humidity is really ideal. Regardless of how warm it is by day, it almost always hits the fifties at night -- and even colder during the Fall. Highland Nepenthes, Heliamphora, and Cephalotus all benefit from that nighttime Tb drop . . .

Grats on pulling them back from the brink. They are all looking great. That ceph looks spectacular.

Grats on pulling them back from the brink. They are all looking great. That ceph looks spectacular.

Thanks . . .

Frankly, I thought that the Nepenthes were toast and it was probably only laziness on my part that I didn't empty the pots back in June. That was how bad they looked. They were nothing but black sticks and it was only stupid luck that they're back. I don't even know what happened to them . . .

Great neps and "Hummer's Giant"
I need one of those N. toilets :)
peace,
Zero

Very Nice David! Love the N. jamban (Typing with Envy):)

I just recently had the same thing happen to one of my N. flava and also my seedgrown N. hamata. Although my second N. flava is fine and my N. jamban and four other N. hamatas are fine/no sign of pests or problems. These plant are all growing in the same conditions/mix. The seedgrown N. hamata has activated a node and is making a comeback but the N. flava is gone I fear. Have no idea what the cause is as the other plants in my highland grow chamber are fine/growing well.

Yeah, that is the very same situation and there were no signs of visible pests whatsoever, insect or mold; and why a couple of plants, not even next to one another, should be affected and their neighbors left untouched, is a bit mysterious.

Sorry about the N. flava . . .

Glad they all came out all right! It's when they blacken from the vine outward that you really have to worry...

Back