What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soggy Sarracenia?!

lizasaur

Charlatan
Okay, so I got atleast 15 "lost tag" Sarracenia from a rather big name in the hobby.
And I am...well...shocked at their condition. I've never ordered anything that's had all of the pitchers cut off, which these were. I'm also not fond of plants being tossed in a bag, but since there weren't really any pitchers, I didn't see the harm.
A few of the rhizomes were definitely rotten, if that makes sense. Dark brown and nearly mush with no sprouts, growth points, nada. I planted those anyway on the off chance.
The others which had sprouts/developing pitchers, the rhizomes looked good, nice root systems, but the growth was well...soggy. Totally limp and almost pruny. Some was browned. There a few plants which exhibited warped pitchers which were what was spreading through my garden, definitely some parasites (until I got some RTU Green Light Neem II, so far all of the growth is coming in nice and straight =D, thanks!!). I actually believe I found a couple aphids on those, not too sure. There were literally maybe 5 developing pitchers which looked green and as though they'd perk up, but this morning they were well...dead. Totally flopped over, shriveled, and no longer bright green.

I've just never had to deal with something like this. I mean, I have them planted in 50/50 peat/perlite, I'm a rather experienced grower so it's not like, Miracle-Gro stuff- it's the same stuff I've been using the past 3 years and working out great. Full sun (although today is a bit overcast), distilled water. I mean, is this a severe case of shock, will they come back in these conditions, or should I ask for a refund?

I lose the tags on plants like that too. Then again, I also toss the plants out in the yard.

Well, I got them because they're from a well-reputed dealer, and for the price (10 for 5 dollars for small rhizomes, 5 for 5 dollars for large ones), I figured it'd be an excellent opportunity to get some great plants for the price (for instance, even if one's a flava, that's cool, as I don't have that).

Next time, send your lost tags to me instead of putting them in the yard :p

I got the same deal on ebay and was dissappointed in what I got considering who I bought them from. The larger rhizomes might do ok but I am not sure about the small rhizomes. Anyways I just potted them up and will wait and see. Definitly will be the last time I buy from them.

Why not? Just because you don't know what it is doesn't make it trash!

Back