What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snow in April

It has snowed in April here and according to the Storm Prediction website Rain/Snow showers here on Monday Night and Tuesday.

Wow..that sounds unusual for Georgia..

unfortunately snow up here (western NY) is far too common in April..

although this year, early spring has been warmer than usual..normally my CPs cant go outside
until mid-April, but they have been out for a few weeks already this year!
I covered them up a few times, to protect from frost, and tonight I will probably move them into the garage for the whole weekend...snow and cold is forecast..

Real spring usually doesnt arrive until May..
the daffodils are just about beginning to bloom, but the trees wont leaf out for a month yet..

Scot

The daffodils here has already quit blooming here and it is quite unusual for it to snow in April here.

It's been snowy here also - and will be the next few days - but I'm at 5300' MSL in the foothills so it isn't unusual for this time of year. But I would've guessed you southern folk would have that all behind you by now. Oh well, make the best of it.

Go Oregon! Snowy here too! and everything is in bloom! Global Climate Change???

Wow..that sounds unusual for Georgia..

unfortunately snow up here (western NY) is far too common in April..

although this year, early spring has been warmer than usual..normally my CPs cant go outside
until mid-April, but they have been out for a few weeks already this year!
I covered them up a few times, to protect from frost, and tonight I will probably move them into the garage for the whole weekend...snow and cold is forecast..

Real spring usually doesnt arrive until May..
the daffodils are just about beginning to bloom, but the trees wont leaf out for a month yet..

Scot

Can they tolerate overnight lows of 28 F? Mine just lived through this storm and the low was 30 F, with 4 more predicted lows of 28 F in the next couple weeks.

Can my Sarracenias, cobra lilies, and VFT's take this:

Picture-1.jpg

Saturday, Apr 4
More Details/AccuPop™
Rain & Snow
Very windy
Low: 30 °F
High: 43 °F
Sunday, Apr 5
More Details
Mostly Cloudy
Rather cloudy and milder
Low: 34 °F
High: 52 °F
Monday, Apr 6
More Details
Rain
Rain and drizzle
Low: 31 °F
High: 48 °F
Tuesday, Apr 7
More Details
Mostly Cloudy
Snow showers possible; windy
Low: 28 °F
High: 35 °F
Wednesday, Apr 8
More Details
Mostly Cloudy
Snow or flurries possible
Low: 28 °F
High: 35 °F
Thursday, Apr 9
More Details
Cloudy
A shower possible
Low: 29 °F
High: 42 °F
Friday, Apr 10
More Details
Cloudy
Cloudy
High: 47 °F
Saturday, Apr 11
More Details
Cloudy
A morning flurry; cloudy
High: 48 °F

I never lost one plant this winter and they were covered in snow for weeks at a time. The picture you showed is nothing compared to what I have seen. There is a CP dealer in Portland Oregon that keeps their plants out year round. Rain, snow, hail and all. You can even find videos or pictures of thier nursery 6 inches + under snow. If weather is below 20 degrees I would personally cover the rhizomes with about 2-3 inches of covering be it pine needles or whatever. North American CP's are very cold hardy. I have had pitchers freeze completly through enzyme solution and all. they were fine and are doing well. It snows here still every few days and doesnt get much above 45 degree F until may.

It's colder in Ashland than here I guess. Last year we had snow here in late April -- the 20th.

But things are kinda warming up.

I never lost one plant this winter and they were covered in snow for weeks at a time. The picture you showed is nothing compared to what I have seen. There is a CP dealer in Portland Oregon that keeps their plants out year round. Rain, snow, hail and all. You can even find videos or pictures of thier nursery 6 inches + under snow. If weather is below 20 degrees I would personally cover the rhizomes with about 2-3 inches of covering be it pine needles or whatever. North American CP's are very cold hardy. I have had pitchers freeze completly through enzyme solution and all. they were fine and are doing well. It snows here still every few days and doesnt get much above 45 degree F until may.

It's the plants in this thread that are in question. So do you think they can tolerate these temps for a week? They were in a co-worker's garage for the past 3.5 months, with temps in the mid-to-upper 30's.

Lol, I have a thunderstorm coming and you had a snowstorm. Any way, its gonna be the low 60's here tomorrow. No more snow for me!

Jim,

I'd be a little worried about the lows (28 F). I know that if they've already seen warmer temps and are coming out of dormancy, they will die. Multiple freezes and woken up plants just don't mix.

But my filiformis do not survive temps that low, period. Your sarrs should do fine. I'd be worried about the VFTs. Maybe cover them up a bit.

Good luck.

I may just put them in the garage for the next few days. They won't get any light but it will be above freezing.

If you still have some leaves around from fall, a loose covering of leaves an inch or two deep provides lots of protection and, while it's shade, it doesn't disrupt the daily light cycle. I worry more about freeze-thaw cycles than about sustained freezes and a blanket of leaves evens things out. Even for relatively non-acclimated plants, I think they don't care whether they're kept a little above or a little below 32, as long as they aren't bouncing between extremes.

As for late snow (by eastern standards) it snowed all day on Mother's Day when we were visiting my mother-in-law in Lake Placid, NY a number of years ago. It started the previous evening and didn't quit until shortly before we left Monday morning. There was a distinct snow line as we drove downhill and it was sunny and 70+ only a couple hours south out of the Adirondacks. It isn't just elevation, because Lake Placid is only at ~1,800 ft and that much elevation is only worth about 5 degrees of cooling. I think the mountains around town are just short of 5,000 ft., but that's enough to make simple weather become dramatic as it lifts itself a few thousand feet to pass by.

Thats an idea... kinda like a wildbill thing.

No; it's too half-@ssed to be a wildbill thing. It's a herenorthere thing.

Mid-Michigan has just received about 5" of snow this morning. :(

Not to worry though, it's very slushy and melting. :)

(and I just washed my car yesterday too...Murphy's Law I guess.............)

I'm putting them in the garage for Tuesday and Wednesday. Temps are going to be lower than they had predicted.

Back