What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I repot?

uphwiz

jimmy
Should I repot the three sarr.s I purchased just two weeks ago they were in man made bogs with rapid moving water they are all in what looks like 100% sand ? Not sure my conditions are going to be correct. My sarr.s are all in 50 50 peat pearlite and do great sitting in several inches of water a little less during winter. Heterophylla, Oreophila, and Psittacina.

All advice will be appreciated
I'm leaning toward repot now before it gets any colder Oreophila is already 80% dormant

Jimmy

Jim, what's the point in repotting now as the plants are drifting into dormancy? Do it in mid March,and I'm sure your plants will really apreciate it.

just concerned about the all sand media , so you think it's OK in our freezing as the water will be setting and freezing, and the place where I bought it had it an a moving water bog being constantly re circulated
I was think of repotting, but it will take very little convincing other wise if i don't hear back I'll probably just leave it as is on your first responce thank you for the advice
Jimmy Conner
is petechphs a nick name or do you cultivate cephalotus

How are you going to store them for winter dormancy?
I don't like the sound of that sand.

I make mini bird cages from chicken wire for the others, and cover them with custom fitted covers no trays. I check every third week for moister. the covers are from sunbrella fabric. at this point its the best, shen not if my collection grows I'll have to come up with new ideas. Im concerned about the ice shift and sand being sharp and damaging the roots
Jimmy
rocketcaver are you there now whats your temp and hardiness zone

I am in zone 6. Right now the temps are in the 60s daytime 40s night time, but our winters get down to 0 F, sometimes below for several days at a time.
I have tried overwintering outside in the past and in an enheated storage building, but it didn't work for me.
Our winters have too many freeze and thaw cycles; I think the plants just couldn't take the repeated freeze and thaw.
This year I will have my plants in my mother-inlaw's attic.
What are your winters like?

Our winters are similar but our lowest temps usually don't drop below 10 , we do have occasional extreme lows but unusual to get below say 5 or 0. I think I am going to move the plants to my reg mix for my outside cp's 50 /50 peat/peirlite. and make the covers as I have in the past I'll make some pictures when I get them all covered. I do set some of the smaller pots in the tops of the larger ones and mulch around the fly traps for a little more protection as I have read they don't want to get any colder than 10 to 15 .
I think next year I'm going to buy a medium size preformed pond liner say three foot and try storing the way I've seen at some of the web sites so I can more easily keep an eye on them I have a fairly large work shed which can be heated to above 10 if needed, the large community storage would be easier to move in one swoop, instead of a dozen or more trips, which is what I do now , but most of my plants stayed outside last year and i monitered the night temps we had many nights below 20 degrees which
was a little more extreme than usual. We also can have days 60 to 70 out of the blue so i have to watch to make sure they don't over heat, I move them to the north wall of my house in this case no sun all day
it keeps them cool enough to keep them in dormancy
Jimmy 6:47 am now sun is just starting got to work later Guy

just concerned about the all sand media , so you think it's OK in our freezing as the water will be setting and freezing, and the place where I bought it had it an a moving water bog being constantly re circulated
I was think of repotting, but it will take very little convincing other wise if i don't hear back I'll probably just leave it as is on your first responce thank you for the advice
Jimmy Conner
is petechphs a nick name or do you cultivate cephalotus

Indeed! I keep quite a few Cephalotus.

Wait until dormancy

Yeah, you guys are probably right.

Ok I'll wait and just watch for the really deep freezes , and try and keep them out of say 32 and below till the repot . Thanks for all the input

Jimmy

Back