What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed kits

dEsSiCaTa_UK

UNSC Sparten
Before i got my proper plants i got some seeds a while ago from a zoo, i cant remember the species but if i remember its 2 of the tall pitchers and a sundew, ive kept them in the fridge for 4ish weeks like it said but i cant find the packaging and dont know what the next step is :(

Well im not a big fan of these seed kits..(see this thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115195 )

But since you have them, you might as well plant them! ;)

While its good the seed kit said to stratify the seeds (put them in cold storage for a few months) it sounds like they werent smart enough to get it completely right..

the seeds have to be cold AND moist for proper stratification..
just sticking the dry seed packs in the fridge is only half the story..and its not good enough.

you need to actually "sow the seeds" in the pot they will grow in, in mosit media (spagnum or peat moss) then stick the whole pot in the fridge for a few months!

Fortunately, this is an ideal time of year to do that!
because its the very beginning of winter..

what you should do is take the seeds out of the fridge, make up some pots of media for them..same stuff you would grow any VFT or Sarr in, sprinkle the seeds on the top, cover lightly, then put the pots OUTSIDE all winter! :)

just leave them outside all winter (I see you live in England..so you are one of the lucky ones who can grow them outdoors 24/7/365)..keep the media moist all winter, and in the spring, if you are lucky, you should get some seedlings!

Scot

Sorry i missed that out, i did leave them in the fridge sowed :D
Cant wait till they germinate if they do :D

If the boxes are correctly labelled (which is a big IF) that first one should be sarracenia leucophylla. The other sarracenia I see there appears to be S. minor. The sundew one is D. capensis. Those seeds do not need any special treatment, just sow and grow.

I forgot to ask do i still put them outsideif i still kept them in the fridge for 4 weeks previous?
Thanks for all the help all :)

They need a minimum of 4 or 5 weeks of cold and wet, which is called stratification.

You can store them *dry* in the fridge for as long as you like, but they need a 4+ week period of cold, wet stratification before they'll germinate.

You can achieve this by wrapping them in a rainwater soaked paper towel and keeping them in the fridge. Then put them on a bright windowsill.

Or you can sow them now and put the pot in a greenhouse or coldframe over winter and they'll germinate in April.

Personally, I'd put them wet in the fridge for 5 weeks now and then sow them in a pot and put the pot on a sunny windowsill indoors.

Ah thats the word thanks :D
When i first put them in the fridge they were always sitting in about 3 cm of rain water for the 4 weeks which is what the back of the kit said to do, this hasnt messed it all up in anyway has it?
At the moment they sitting in water on my window sill, shall i put them outside or in the fridge?
Sry im a little confused, just dont want to go wrong:down:

"Scary Ghost Plant" = LAME
"Body Snatcher Plant" = LAME
"Hooded Executioner Plant" = LAME

Anyone have the company address or contact info for whoever is putting those out?
I'd like to send them a note and give them some "constructive criticism"..
tell them, politely, that those names suck...not that it will do much good..they wont stop selling them..but maybe if enough people complain they might at least change their labels and use REAL names..

What the right species name for them?

"Scary Ghost Plant" is Sarracenia leucophylla.

"Body Snatcher Plant" is some kind of Drosera..probably no way to know what exact species. likely D. capensis.

"Hooded Executioner Plant" is Sarracenia minor..assuming of course the seeds are the actual species depicted on the label..
which is unlikely..I wouldnt trust them to actually care that they make accurate seed packs..they could be anything..

Scot

Back