What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scented?....crap

I started mixing up some sand and peat to get some live sphagnum settled in (FINALLY) and I was being stupid with my step brother saying that the white powder in my hand wasn't any "normal sand" (hinting that it was some sort of drug) and I put some up to my face I noticed that it actually seemed to have a somewhat perfume-ish scent.. and then I thought.. "Oh crap..that can't be good for the CPs..." I've been using this sand for like 2 years and I just now noticed that it seems to be scented. It's only very mildly scented.. it's play sand but I think they may have went a bit overboard. I really think I should switch..

I messed up again. >_>

??? Why would they put fragrance in sand that's meant to go outside anyway?

If you've been using it for 2 years and nothing bad has happened I'd say it's probably OK to use. If you want to use it, wash it well and add a little rubbing alcohol when you're washing it. This'll act as a solvent and will remove anything not water-soluble. Dry it before use.

OR if you're lazy like me buy some new sand. It's cheap.

Definitely buying another bag. It was hard enough finding the bag I have now. >_>

The one I have now is almost empty anyways. >_>

Maybe the perfume was on your hand :-)) I just use pool filter sand. It's like 3 bucks for 50 lbs and i know it's pure silica sand :)

I notice that my peat has a strong sort of wine smell if I hold it close to my nose.

-Ben

My peat smells like... peat. o_O

Andy, where do you get your sand from? Don't say pool supply store.

uhm... a place that carries pool stuff. LOL Seriously, anywhere that carries pool chemicals and stuff (not like a hardware store, or lowes but an actual pool place) will carry it. It goes in the filters of the pool and that's what keeps the pools nice and clean. A standard filter takes about 300lbs of sand (at least the one I work on does :p) sorry, I couldn't not say pool supply store. I tried!! hehe

Oi. x_x

I'll have to find one of them around here somewhere then.

I asked my step brother and my mom if they thought it smelled perfume-ish. My step brother didn't but my mom thought it smelled "sweet".

So now I dunno. x_x

Last edited by a moderator:
Back