What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Jeff I just heard about that for the first time today! I think maybe next time I will try since it would prevent some of the smaller leaves from being buried in the sphagnum.

Beautiful leaf pullings! I'll be interested to hear your experience if you do try the paper towel approach and how it compares to the bagged sphagnum. I've only ever dropped leaves on the media beside parent plants with ok success and am interested in other (better?) propagation techniques.

Joseph Clemens recommended a dry paper towel sandiwich for P. gypsicola leaves.

Bonjour

I use for my leaves cutting or my seeding , just a ' petri box " with wet paper towels or blotting paper , dampened by spring water .

I put just these thing on the wet paper , for leaf petiole to wet surface

jeff

Last edited:
I tried the petri dish + paper towel method and like it very much! My upcoming batch of pullings I think I'm going to try to transplant directly into mineral medium and use no peat. The ones from my current batch are looking healthy but I think if they were in turface the original leaves might have not rotted away as quickly. That's just my theory for now but next on my list to test.

Anyway here is a picture I took of my main tub of Mexican pinguicula yesterday. A few are blooming and a few are recovering and there's also a pot of ampullaria seedlings in there that I just pruned massive amounts of sphagnum from.

UJlHy0S.jpg

EDIT:
I wanted to add pictures of the pinguicula pulling progress. You can see the date I pulled them on the tag in the photos so it's been somewhere around 5 weeks since they were pulled. Maybe you will see what I mean about not liking the peat. It's probably at least partially my own fault for keeping it too moist but that doesn't usually seem to be as problematic with turface. Anyway they are still doing alright so can't complain too much:

dEkeXwe.jpg

fkNKvu3.jpg

rLGEyyy.jpg

gPdXX3H.jpg

T5yHvq8.jpg

wOQll2Q.jpg

9Ecofco.jpg

Last edited:
Bonjour

pretty success

It is absolutely normal that your old leaf that served you for the cuttings will become dry, the gems used it for food and therefore grow

Last edited:
Nice collection - and those kondoi look like they've made some nice progress since September! Also your leaf pulls look great. I don't feel like I've seen great growth over the past few months from the few leaf-pulling "sprouts" that I have. My area is probably too chilly for optimal growth - especially when I look at the thermometer in your pics. Yours seem to have done really well. I think I should dig out a heat mat!

For leaf cuttings, maximum yield requires a temperature of 22-24 ° c with a hygro of 80-90%

jeff

For leaf cuttings, maximum yield requires a temperature of 22-24 ° c with a hygro of 80-90%

jeff

Thanks Jeff! Mine are definitely not experiencing temps that warm. I'll see about making them a bit more comfortable. :)

Took some pictures today. Not pics of everything but I haven't posted in here in a while so figured it's worth starting to get more recent pics up.

P. laueana
v1FxaRk.jpg

P. 'Sethos' - Thanks bluemax!
lkhCJlt.jpg

P. 'Gina'
VeUf7ZO.jpg

P. gigantea
4WK5L9y.jpg

P. emarginata
LztNn14.jpg

P. 'Pirouette' This one kind of has little bumps/spots where it's green rather than red and some of the edges of its leaves have a crease/defect here and there. I'm not sure what it is. I wondered if the spots might be from getting splashed with droplets of water that magnified the light and burnt it, but that wouldn't explain the outer margins of the leaves. I'll probably uproot it and check it out when i take some pullings soon.
a6NKiXf.jpg

P. debbertiana metallic purple. The largest one I've got. I purchased a container with many small plants that I assume were tissue cultured. The largest and several of the smaller plantlets died but many have also done well.
w6K5jXG.jpg

P. kondoi
UqplZjf.jpg

Synonymous with above, P. reticulata. Grown in slightly different conditions with more elevated humidity and access to food.
QNu2w6A.jpg

The 3-headed cabbage of a ping. Initially given to me as a NOID but later said to be P. agnata x zecheri. Still waiting for flowers but this is a vigorous plant. I made the mistake of taking some pullings from it.
dcpn2dk.jpg

8bq20le.jpg

UbjMtOF.jpg

soqLPld.jpg

A 1 month old P. ibarrae pulling that I just potted up in turface today and put a bag over to help it transition. I'm going to be watching it like a hawk to try to make sure it survives.
u5zQJcN.jpg

Last edited:
hahahahah jesus that's a huge plant

I'm happy it's doing so well, that agnata x zecheri. I'm happy I only have one right now, and that it's less than 3 inches wide

[MENTION=12470]raycer491[/MENTION] That P. ibarrae I got from you is coming along well still :D

VjMg25s.jpg

Last edited:
omg this gives me hope

I was hesitant to do ibarrae pullings again after a long string of failures. it's flowering right now but I'll have to try pullings again this april.

what were the conditions? I don't suspect anything too particular, looks like it's out in the open, actually

I kept the leaf in the bag of moist sphagnum you gave it to me in under my T5s with high temps around 70°F for a month until it looked like in the picture from before that I posted of it. Then I transplanted it into turface and put the bag loosely over the pot until now. I just removed the bag yesterday.

Normally I'd fill this page with photos but I just updated my grow list and not feeling like posting all the pictures here. So instead if you're interested in seeing a picture of each of the different types of Mexican Pinguicula I currently have, in whatever state they currently are in, here's a link:

ScatterPants March 2017 Mexican Pinguicula Update

I counted 32 different types now, though some are still small or struggling to survive (you can make it, P. medusina!).

Bonjour

very nice plant .

You do not make them dormancy ?

no temperate or subtropical US ping ?

jeff

Last edited:
Jeff, I would have preferred for them to all go dormant this winter but my setup is new this year and this is also my first winter with Mexican Pings. Under my T5s won't get cool enough for them to go fully dormant (some seem to be partially dormant) but I have discovered that other areas of my grow space will allow them to go dormant because it is about 5°F cooler. So next year I will probably move my main pings into the cooler part of my grow space and leave the T5s for pullings.

I've had terrible luck with subtropical type pings. Only primuliflora has done ok and even that I've had some problems with. I gave Benurmanii half my temperate ping seeds so hoping he will have luck.

Just a few recent pics:

P. reticulata. I didn't realize the flowers open and close every day!
jlxEOtJ.jpg

P. ibarrae's first flower
2dMfmDO.jpg

P. Yucca Do 1717. I like its neat form
RdwlXsF.jpg

I know some species cycle the flowers daily (debbertiana I think is one of the ones that comes to mind; it also hangs the flowers vertically at night), but reticulata was not one of the ones I was aware of.

Oo that's interesting to find out...I have some debbertiana but they haven't flowered yet. Biggest one is somewhere between quarter and half dollar size at the moment.

Back