What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving private Sarracenia

Hello boys and girls,

I bought this sarracenia in my attempt to save it, yesterday evening. To me it just seemed dehydrated and it will recover well after thorough care and watering. I am thinking also of putting it in a closed jar for more humidity. Ehat else should I think of?
Also, what kind of sarracenia is it? To me it seems S. Minor but it is very possible to be mistaken.

Cheers!
Andrei, Romania (for climate references)

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A500FU folosind Tapatalk

Hello boys and girls,

I bought this sarracenia in my attempt to save it, yesterday evening. To me it just seemed dehydrated and it will recover well after thorough care and watering. I am thinking also of putting it in a closed jar for more humidity. Ehat else should I think of?
Also, what kind of sarracenia is it? To me it seems S. Minor but it is very possible to be mistaken.

Cheers!
Andrei, Romania (for climate references)

008f525e6218afbfadf760d8ab71117f.jpg

And the picture...

008f525e6218afbfadf760d8ab71117f.jpg

And the picture...

Well first thing's first, did you know that Sarracenia need to be watered with distilled water? How much sunlight is it getting? It doesn't look like a minor to me, instead it's more like a scarlet belle.

Sarracenia don't need high humidity, they are not tropical plants either. What is your humidity like?

I do know about distilled water, yes. It gets 5 hours of sunlight in the morning. I am planning on moving it outside after it will get a bit better, for 6-7 hours of direct sunlight.
The humidity is around 50-60%.

Looks like Scarlet Belle to me too. No need to elevate the humidity, just give it lots of water and light and it'll be fine.

Trim off all brown parts and tidy up the broken pitchers. Then get rain/ distilled/ RO water in that saucer for the pot to stand in.

So your oppinion is that it will recover? Good news, thanks! I'll follow the advices

Sarracenia are very tough plants. It doesn't even look dehydrated to me, just that it was squished into a container too small for it.

The plant is 'Scarlet Belle', and it's a little worn but new leaves will be in better health. They do not need much humidity at all (mine survive as low as 5% on occasion, averages of 20-30% during summer), and a minimum of 6 hours of direct sunlight a day, more being better, so this is definitely a plant that should go outside as soon as possible. Being temperate plants, they won't have much issue with light frosts either, so it would just slow growth until temps warm up properly.

When I took it the soil couldn't even absorb any water. it went right through it. I had to moist it bit by bit. And pitchers were (still are a bit) wrinkled. But let's see how it goes.

Now, the temperatures are 13-16*C during the day and 3-6*C during night time. Based on what you say, hcarlton, I can take it outside right away. Does it matter if I do it right away or gradually acclimatizing it to the new temps?

Last edited:
The plant is 'Scarlet Belle',

Oh dear, here we go again.

The plant certainly looks like S. x wrigleyana but is it that certain that it is a vegetative propagation of the cultivar? If it doesn't have a label that says so then it's a giant leap to say it is.
S x wrigleyana has been around for many many years, long before the cultivar Scarlet Belle. Do you even know for certain if the cultivar is available in Romania? It's more likely to be one of Carniflora's many TC'd hybrids.

Oh dear, here we go again.

The plant certainly looks like S. x wrigleyana but is it that certain that it is a vegetative propagation of the cultivar? If it doesn't have a label that says so then it's a giant leap to say it is.
S x wrigleyana has been around for many many years, long before the cultivar Scarlet Belle. Do you even know for certain if the cultivar is available in Romania? It's more likely to be one of Carniflora's many TC'd hybrids.

I have no idea if the cultivar is available in Romania. But after all, we do not have CP Specific nurseries. I got it from Ikea and they are pretty much international.
So, asking wether or not S. x Wrigleyana or Scarlet Belle is available in Romania has nothing to do with the probability to be this cultivar :)

Andrei

I have no idea if the cultivar is available in Romania. But after all, we do not have CP Specific nurseries. I got it from Ikea and they are pretty much international.
So, asking wether or not S. x Wrigleyana or Scarlet Belle is available in Romania has nothing to do with the probability to be this cultivar :)

Andrei

What odd logic you have

1. If the plant isn't available then it couldn't possibly be it.
2. Ikea is indeed international but would it import plants from the USA which would involve import licences, phytosanitary and CITES certificates or would they order from a EU nursery (Carniflora) where you have free movement across EU borders. I think the second option is more probable.
If the plant had been obtained privately from another grower in the EU then there would be the possibility of a division from a probable illegal import.
Let's face it, is Scarlet Belle worth the hassle of import compared to a standard home grown S x wrigleyana? I sincerely doubt it.

Edit: Incidentally the questions were really addressed to young HawkenC due to his so positive identification.

Last edited:
'Scarlet Belle' is a widely available cultivar, tissued cultured and found internationally, and has been around for decades. It also has a distinct appearance, even when a bit crinkly, due to leucophylla being the maternal parent as opposed to many other wrigleyana crosses along with the specific clones used in the parentage. Compared to wild-found plants, or other cultivars like 'Chagall', it's hard to mistake the Belle. In fact, the pitchers still in somewhat decent shape are a near-exact match for my plants.
Perhaps it's not a 100% certain ID, but of the likely possibilities....

17f9df19fcce8ecc0deb9c5deed1c28e.jpg

Apparently Private Sarracenia IS recovering. After a barbaric trimming and some nice sun for 2 weeks, some growth can be seen :)

Last edited:
Go private sarracenia!

Back