What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Leucophylla Repotting

I potted up my bare Sarracenia Leucophylla rhizomes today. I used a sandy 1:1 sand to peat mix. Did I plant the rhizomes right, and do I need to plant them deeper?

Also, Can I keep these in the tray that they are in? There is a hole on the bottom, and a tray underneath it.

Here are the pictures.

The whole setup:

106298aa.jpg

Two of the rhizomes that are planted:

e4dd9a77.jpg

2d566767.jpg

And my other, smaller bin:

44687ba5.jpg

Thanks for any help,

Will

I'd definently plant them deeper, and are you planning to keep them inside?

Thanks for the advice. I am only keeping them inside until I am sure it's summer outside. Mother Nature tricks us a lot in Michigan...
They should be out before any leaves are ready to open.

nice rizones brinker

They look very healthy! It's plant the growing ends deeper. They generally like to have half of the rhizome above ground and the other half below.

*definitely* need to be deeper..
think of burying the rhizomes "half deep"..
I would put the soil level about here:

i-QfpJVWm.jpg

Scot

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Thanks for the advice. I am only keeping them inside until I am sure it's summer outside. Mother Nature tricks us a lot in Michigan...
They should be out before any leaves are ready to open.

If its warmer than 35 degrees F, day or night, its much better for them to be outside..
If I see a forecast overnight low of 32, I still wont bring them in..
my "cutoff" temp is 27..if I see a forecast overnight low of 27 or colder in the early spring or late autumn, I put the plants in the garage for the night..
anything above 35 is downright toasty warm for them..
they should definitely be outside in 40's, 50's and above..in full sunlight..
much healthier than being indoors..

Scot

Nice rhizomes.

Like everyone else said, rhizomes need to be deeper; half buried, half above soil. Any shoots just below the surface will push up through the soil.

My potted sarrs do fine outside in temps in the 20s as long as it warms up to above freezing during the day. I put them close to the house on the south side during freezing temps and shelter only if freezing winds.

*definitely* need to be deeper..
think of burying the rhizomes "half deep"..
I would put the soil level about here:

i-QfpJVWm.jpg

Scot

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

If its warmer than 35 degrees F, day or night, its much better for them to be outside..
If I see a forecast overnight low of 32, I still wont bring them in..
my "cutoff" temp is 27..if I see a forecast overnight low of 27 or colder in the early spring or late autumn, I put the plants in the garage for the night..
anything above 35 is downright toasty warm for them..
they should definitely be outside in 40's, 50's and above..in full sunlight..
much healthier than being indoors..

Scot

This year I lucked into a willing hobbyist from our CP group who took my Sarracenia & VFT collection for the winter. He had them in his garage. For the most part, the temps were ~40 F. But during one cold snap the temps got to ~22 F. He was worried that it might have killed my plants. It didn't. He did a fine job taking care of them. Only one plant didn't make it.

BTW, Scot, if you know where Mennes Nursery is, and it sin't too far for ya, we meet once a month.

Related to ths discussion, I am now using 9" tall pots, the kind that greenhouses use for saplings.

BTW, Scot, if you know where Mennes Nursery is, and it sin't too far for ya, we meet once a month.

Related to ths discussion, I am now using 9" tall pots, the kind that greenhouses use for saplings.

Jim,
I do know Mennes! nice place..I will try to come out once or twice this year. (about an hour drive for me)

Can you post a photo of those "sapling pots"? im interested to see what they look like..
thanks,
Scot

Thanks!

Should I take out the plant and replant lower, or just add more soil around the rhizome?

That picture really helped, scottychaos

Anoyone have anything to say about the "tray method" for sarracenia?

Thanks

Will

I would just take out all the rhizomes and start over..
looks like you have different rhizomes planted at different levels, so just adding more soil wont make them all planted properly, some would end up too deep, others too shallow..I would just start over.. at this point, they havent really started growing yet, so it wont bother them to be potted twice within a week or so.

tray method works great! been using it for 18 years..although your containers (in the photos) are a bit large, and the container of water is a bit shallow..
since you are repotting anyway, I would ditch the tall white container..its a bit *too* tall..replace it with a pot that is about the same height as the clear container..then your "tray" will probably be fine..although it could stand to be a bit deeper..aim for containers about 6" to 8" tall, and a tray that will hold 1" to 3" of water..within those ranges will work fine..

Scot

Back