What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Hybrids - but which ones?

kath

Katherine
I have two unknown Sarracenia Hybrids to identify:

Hybrid No. 1
UnknownHybird2pitcherback.jpg

UnknownHybrid22ndphyllodia.jpg

UnknownHybrid2corm.jpg

UnknownHybrid2phyllodia.jpg

UnknownHybrid2pitcherala.jpg

UnknownHybrid2pitcherside-on.jpg

UnknownHybrid2pitcher.jpg

UnknownHybrid2spotsclose-up.jpg

And...

Hybrid No.2
UnknownHybrid1back.jpg

UnknownHybrid1side-on.jpg

UnknownHybrid1.jpg

Can anyone help identify?

The first one (COULD BE) a S. x Mitchelliana (Purpurea x Leucophylla) , if it is though it looks like it needs more sun. Mine turn a deep purple, but yours could be different. It would be easier to identify next year when they flower. The second one looks like it (COULD BE) a S. x Readii ( Leucophylla x Rubra ) again, take a pic when they flower, the color/size of the flower helps to identify...

The problem with hybrids, is that if you dont already know what they are, its virtually impossible to figure it out with any certainty..yes, you can have some pretty good guesses, and one of those guesses might even be right..but you will never know for sure.

So its generally a good practice to not give them any real "official" name..because you could be wrong...and you wouldnt want to later give a plant away, forgetting that the label you gave it was simply "an educauted guess" and have someone think the plant is something it actually isnt.

its fine to try to guess at the parentage, but dont officially label them with a name..
you should officially call them simply "hybrids of unknown parentage"

Scot

I'm not planning to trade them, but after looking at the original sources list of all cultivated plants they sell, and asking for photos of the plants that could be it, I've found out the top one is Sarracenia Mitchelliana x Leucophylla.

I contacted the person the other hybrid came from, and it is indeed a Readii.

Thanks for all the help though.

Back