What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia for terrarium?

hey as the title says im looking for a sarracenia that will do OK in my terrarium setup and not get too tall, is there any types that would work? my terrarium is 18" tall, with a lot of elbow room

S. purpurea, S. rubra, and maybe some hybrids with S. purpurea. Remember to take them out for dormancy though.

-Ben

ok, thank you

don't forget S. psittacina and it's hybrids.

remember they like light.

I got a small 10g terrarium that has S. psittacina, S. purpurea venosa and S. purpurea purpurea in it and they grow really nicely as they are low growing Sarr's. As mentioned though, don't forget that they need dormancy still so either plant them in pots in the soil so that they are hidden or only plant sarr's in it so that you can just put the whole terrarium into dormancy in the basement in a cold spot. You will love the deep red/purple that the S. purpurea get when grown in a terrarium under artificial light. Mine go pretty much scarlett red they are so dark. I love them. Good luck with this.

Cheers,
Ravn

i've been reading a bit about dormancy and im a bit confused... just how cold do they need to be? i read somewhere that they should be brought down to 40 degrees or so for 3 months? is that true? my basement doesnt get that cold =(

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Aug. 29 2006,5:07)]i've been reading a bit about dormancy and im a bit confused... just how cold do they need to be? i read somewhere that they should be brought down to 40 degrees or so for 3 months? is that true? my basement doesnt get that cold =(
you also have to consider that Sarrs are probably the most light loving of all the CPs, rivaing dews. your gonna have to have some major lighting to pull that off. heres what you should do-->in spring summer and part of fall grow out doors in full sun. when the first frost hits then bring your plants inside,uproot(optional), cut off the leaves, and put em in the fridge!
alex

EDIT: 3- 4 months is how long it should be. Halloween to valentines day is a good estimate(or after first frost)

Dormancy is a confusing term. It includes both the process of going dormant, which actually begins as the photoperiod decreases (like now). Growth is slower, but necessarily at a standstill. It can also refer to the dead of winter when growth has either stopped or can't be discerned, often viewed as a deep sleep. Dormancy includes many factors, the most significant of which is decreasing light. While lower temps are associated with dormancy, it is far less significant (according to our Southern California hobbyists), as well as less water and critters. While cold is a part of dormancy, it is given more attention than is necessary.

Look up the climate in Alabama as a good indicator for winter conditions. I believe there are a fair few days in the 70s, but also some frosty nights.

Most sarras will be okay as terrarium plants, albiet only as seedlings
smile_n_32.gif

If your going to mix and match cp's in the terrarium try keeping the sarr. in a pot and bury it up to the lip. That way you can remove it without disturbing the other non dormancy requiring plants.

Back