What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea from Lowes, subsp. ID?

Heh, thanks! Although the Carnivore Queen up there is a tough act to follow with her lovely Venosa!!

So what do you think... to allow dormancy, or not to allow dormancy?

That's tough. I'd let it grow for a little bit and then give it dormancy. Let it adjust to the photo period and go dormant naturally if possible.

But then again, If I had that plant, I'd plop it outside in a 6-inch pot and not worry about it all winter. My weather is nice for that.

But I can tell you have a fine purp. Tis got good genes, tis got good genes.

BTW: your plants are packed up and shipping tomorrow. Let me know how they arrive.

Nice! I'll pack your tools up and ship them first thing in the morning! Looking forward to it.

OK, I'll let this sarr get its bearings. I'm gradually reducing my photoperiod down to 9 hours per day to get my pygmy dews to get their gemmae on. Hopefully my tropical dews, pings, and my nep won't be too offended by this. I understand that they should all get on just fine. But I digress.

My grow rack will likely see temperatures in the low 60s or even high 50s once the winter really hits. As I'm in an apartment, I unfortunately don't have a place to grow my plants outside! So I have to make do with a grow rack, for better or worse. If it goes dormant, then all the better. If not, I'll make sure and give it enough time to go dormant next year.

Heh, I'm digging these death cubes!!

yours certainly looks better than mine from the death cube...should be a nice specimen indeed!

It's only been a week and mine already has more color just from sitting under better lights. Check it out!

DSC03560.JPG

Sorry to keep reviving this long-dead thread, but I thought I'd post an update on this S. purp three weeks later. Notice the sweet color and new growth! Does this still look like a ssp. purpurea or is it starting to look more like ssp venosa? I just don't know!

1000000280.JPG

Back