What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

right pot

Hi can i put a N. ventricosa in a 4 inch terra cotta pot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pot size should depend on rootball and plant size, and the type of pot you use (net/orchid/ceramic/plastic) should depend on what potting materials you want to use (bark/sphag/perlite/pumice/peat/who-knows). Same goes for your ping pot question too - you have to give more information.

i am plating both plants in one part peat moss one part perlite and one part LFS. and it was in a 3 inch pot so everyone should have figured that out now.

using peat moss in Nep mixes is sooo 1990s. ;)
just sayin....modern cultivation techniques say 1:1:1 orchid bark, long fibered sphagnum, and perlite/pumice. and

what species of ping are you planting with your nep? if your reply is P. primuliflora, you're in for a rude awakening....because either your nep or ping is going end up dead. JUST KIDDING---i gather you wanted to plant P. 'titan'. it should do fine.

using peat moss in Nep mixes is sooo 1990s. ;)
just sayin....modern cultivation techniques say 1:1:1 orchid bark, long fibered sphagnum, and perlite/pumice. and

OY! I use peat in my mixes! :glare:

Granted, you can use too much and you still need plenty of chunky stuff in the mix.

i am not growing a ping with my nep i am growing it sepperet and it is a P. 'Titan' and yeah i use peat with my mixes! :censor: :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Eou......No one appreciates the rude remarks, Please be kind, if you ask for help and you don't get the answer u want to hear then y ask for help? Kindness goes a long way, if you intend on getting answers and help i suggest being more respectful....

Well, you can use the pot you mentioned, and the mix sounds good, but you might just want to add a bit more perlite in perportion to the other stuff, like 2 parts perlite to 1 part peat and 1 part LFS.

ok thanks exo and i wasn't trying to be rude :LOL: !

Just putting my 2 cents in here, but I thought it wasn't good to use terra cotta pots on Neps / Something to do with the clay & minerals & what not???

i am plating both plants in one part peat moss one part perlite and one part LFS. and it was in a 3 inch pot so everyone should have figured that out now.

I don't see a lot of point to only going one inch bigger. If it's growing well you might as well go a few inches so you don't have to constantly repot it. But that's just my recommendation. You should have a few sizes available so when you pull it out you can pot based on how large/long the roots have gotten. Sometimes you can't tell until you unpot, so it's better to be prepared. If the roots are already reaching the 3inch pot you'll definitely want to go up more than 1 inch larger.

Just putting my 2 cents in here, but I thought it wasn't good to use terra cotta pots on Neps / Something to do with the clay & minerals & what not???

I've heard that too.. but after seeing Brokken's amazing collection I've tossed that theory right out the window.

Regarding the terra cotta, it shouldn't be an issue. Minerals tend to accumulate on the clay if you use fertilizer, and mold sometimes can grow on it too, but it really depends on your culture. Someone who uses distilled or RO and has decent ventilation should never have an issue w/terracotta, unless you fertilize often and don't flush the pot out.

I've heard that too.. but after seeing Brokken's amazing collection I've tossed that theory right out the window.

Regarding the terra cotta, it shouldn't be an issue. Minerals tend to accumulate on the clay if you use fertilizer, and mold sometimes can grow on it too, but it really depends on your culture. Someone who uses distilled or RO and has decent ventilation should never have an issue w/terracotta, unless you fertilize often and don't flush the pot out.

Just thought I read that somewhere...

@deth: yeah, i believe that's what the Savage Garden says.

Terracotta has a tendency to dry out faster then say plastic. So if you use an open mix you might have to water more often. I use terracotta with great results. I have a very open mix that I water often.

Back