What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Sphag ---> Green Sphag ---> Red Sphag?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I saw some red sphagnum at my nep nursery a month or two back and asked if I could buy some, and since they don't officially grow it and just happened to have a bit, they gave me a rather large chunk of red sphagnum. Went home with that and my new Nepenthes and put it around the Nepenthes...That's when the problem started. I still had humidity issues, so it was like 30% or less at points during the day, so the sphagnum dried out (not completely, it was moist, but not wet) and the sphagnum turned tan...

I had this issue with green sphagnum where it turned red, and all I did was give it good conditions and lots of water and it started growth again. When I did coffee treatments on the neps, the tan red sphagnum kinda bounced back and started about five to ten new growth tips, all of which are green. :crazy:

Will this sphagnum turn back to red again? I have had it out in my greenhouse under 50% shade cloth ever since I got the nep... So... ???

My sphagnum goes through red and green phases throughout the year, sometimes it turns white and dies off but if I leave it alone in a few months it goes back to green and happy then for some reason starts turning red then green again.

I've seen this species at my local nep nursery for five months, from January until now, and it hasn't changed from winter to now summer... So I don't think this species does that. Not sure though. ???

Has anyone ever seen this happen to newly acclimated red sphag?

I got a very tiny bit of red sphagnum moss I got with a heli division from a member here, and I nurtured it until I had enough to use around the whole heli and am now slowly turning my nep pots red as well. I also recently noticed this moss turning green on me. But I have found that this is from my recent start of a fertilizer regimen. It is actually algae growing in the moss. I also noticed this algae bloom, started a large springtail population. I always had a few, but nowhere near how many there are now. I mist my plants first thing in the morning and before bed every night, so I constantly keep my moss moist.

Some of the reds turn green from the slightest bit of nutrients. If you're treating with coffee that might be the reason it turned green. Some are only red when grown at certain light levels - too high or too low and they turn green.

Back