What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rearranging Terrarium and Adding Another

This is my current setup. I have my Highland Nepenthes and Heliamphora in a 20 gallon long tank and my sundews and cephalotus in a 10 gallon. My large plants are hanging from the side of my chameleon's cage. I am going to be adding reflective panels to the 10 gallon tank later today. I have a T5 shoplight with 2 32W Soft White bulbs for lighting. Should I get more lighting? As far as temperatures go, the highland terrarium is between 72-77F during the day and 63-66F at night. Humidity is at about 60% during the day and 70% at night. The sundews are pretty happy in their terrarium, though it should probably a little warmer for the scorpiodes, and there really isn't much humidity. Anyone have any suggestions as to if I should change anything with my setup?

photo1-1.jpg

Full shot of my setup

photo3.jpg

My Highland Nepenthes

photo2.jpg

Heliamphora Minor- I want to get some Heterodoxa, but I can't find anywhere that has it in stock. Any ideas as to where I should check?

photo5.jpg

Highland Terrarium with Reptifogger running

photo1.jpg

Sundews and Cephalotus Follicularis- I will be adding reflective covering to the sides and back of the tank later today.

photo4.jpg

Nepenthes Alata(2) and Nepenthes x Miranda

I also want to grow some live spahgnum moss, but I can't seem to get it to grow for me. I have tried reviving long fiber spahgnum, but that hasn't worked yet. Is there a way to order some live?

Last edited:
your setup is quite simple and neat, your plants look healthy----if it aint broke, dont fix it ;)

I agree...Your plants look great, no improvement seems to be needed.

Looks very prim and proper.. Very well put together. Everyhing seems to be growing quite nicely for you.

Wow very well grown plants you don't really need the Reptifogger those types of plants don't need high humidity but other than that cool setup!

Thanks for all the nice comments. I know I don't really need to run the Reptifogger very much, but I live in Utah and it is really dry out here, so I run it for 2 min every 4 hours, though on an even lower fog output than in the picture. Does anyone have any idea of how to get some heliamphora heterodox? I can't find anywhere that has it in stock. Thanks again for the comments.

I like the fog! Neps will do well. So would Petiolaris Complex sundews and many utrics.

100_8801.jpg

Your right two min. every four hours won't hurt it good thinking.

Your right two min. every four hours won't hurt it good thinking.

I mainly run the Reptifogger is to help cool the terrarium down at night, though it does help with the humidity too.

just a disclaimer---petiolaris dews like it HOT, much more than most of the plants in your collection.

just a disclaimer---petiolaris dews like it HOT, much more than most of the plants in your collection.

True. So a fluorescent light that puts out some heat would be great. You can also put an aquarium heater in a Prego jar of water and also create some heat and humidity.

Thanks again for all the great comments everyone. I do want to get some petiolaris dews in the future, but that will probably when I have room for more terrariums. I am, however, getting some Brocchinia Reducta and Heliamphora Nutans next week! Also, I have a small amount of live spahgnum moss on some of the soil in my plants' pots. I pretty much know what to do for it, but do I really need to change anything in my setup to help it grow quicker? I took some of it and put it ontop of some peat in a small container in my highland terrarium. Thanks again for all the comments, and for any more advice! :)

Some people add Osmocote to the soil for the Neps, as well as pelleted fish food for their pitchers. Other than that, Neps appreciate at least 12 hours of light and stable conditions.

...I am getting some Brocchinia Reducta and Heliamphora Nutans next week...

Unfortunately, the place I was going to get the Heliamphora from sold out of them by the time I went to order. I had checked earlier that day and they had Nutans in stock, but they were out of stock later that day, so they just ended up going fast. Hopefully they will get more in stock soon. I am getting Brocchinia Reducta soon, though not quite as soon as I had hoped. :-))

To bad. They shoul get some in a few weeks dpending on who they are.

To bad. They shoul get some in a few weeks dpending on who they are.

Yes it was a little bit tragic for me, but I am just going to stick with my Brocchinia Reducta and wait for the Heliamphora to get back in stock.

As a resident of NYC, I'm just flabbergasted that you can go to ANY brick-and-mortar store and buy CPs like Brocchinia or Heliamphora :0o:! I'm not even convinced that these plants exist at all outside of cyberspace.

As a resident of NYC, I'm just flabbergasted that you can go to ANY brick-and-mortar store and buy CPs like Brocchinia or Heliamphora :0o:! I'm not even convinced that these plants exist at all outside of cyberspace.

I'm getting mine online, but I have seen Heliamphora and Brocchinia Reducta at my local nursery, though that may not be saying much because they usually have a lot of Nepenthes in, mostly just Alata and x Miranda, but occassionally they get more exotic ones in. They also get lots of random sundews, butterworts, sarracenia, VFTs, and other carnivorous plants in too.

You have no idea how amazing that is.

Oh hey a fellow ut grower. I think there's like...4 of us now if that haha. I think your setup looks great.

Back