What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is one of the alternate accounts for the same merchant. Not only are you supporting the unregulated harvesting of seeds from threatened species, you are paying someone to make you into a smuggler, while supplying you with seeds that have likely been stored for weeks/months under less than ideal conditions. (Lots of non-viable seeds)

If all you want to do is try your hand at raising Nepenthes from seeds, I can supply you with very fresh hybrid seed at no cost to you, that will result in dozens of healthy seedlings that will be easy to grow. (Unlike demanding species like N. jacquelineae) If you do not have experience growing Nepenthes from seed, then it would be better if you gained experience with non-critical seed donations from a US grower, rather than buying seed of threatened species obtained by questionable methods.

concur. I try to make ventricosa and ventricosa hybrid seeds freely available here so that people trying their hands for the first time can get freshly harvested easy to grow seeds.

Ya know, I find it hilarious that many people would turn their nose up at seeds from ebay based on ethical dillemas such as poaching, yet, wouldn't think twice about buying a seedgrown plant that came from such seeds. I see this happen every time, someone mentions getting some obviously wild collected seeds, and everyone mounts up on their high horses and chastises em. Yet, many have no problem with buying seedgrown Neps that obviously came from smuggled seeds...not sure how that makes em feel any better, but it seems to. Just wanna point out about throwing stones in glass houses, it's getting old.

The point about it being illegal to get them to the US in the mail is true though, so if you insist on getting em from Ebay, be aware of it. Seeds are typically just destroyed, but if the gooberment is feeling particularly nasty, they can fine you through the nose if they so choose.

What Exo said!

And you can run afoul of three regulating agencies - Department of Homeland Security (Customs - smuggling), Department of Agriculture (Plant Protection Quarantine) and Fish and Wildlife Services (CITES-ESA violations). Any one or all could seek penalties (fines and or imprisonment).

I definitely agree with Exo about throwing stones, but I would like to point out something I feel pertinent to this discussion.
- I think it is definitely the responsibility of the buyer to make sure they are buying legal plants/seeds. In this ebay case, it is EASY to see that not only is it illegal to import them without permits but there is a very likely chance they were illegally collected as well.
- With seedgrown plants, it can be entirely hazy whether or not their original source was legal. While blind ignorance isn't an excuse, honest ignorance of not knowing one way or the other isn't necessarily a reason to not buy a plant when you have no way of uncovering the truth.

i also bought 20 nepenthes jacquelineae from more buyfromthuishop

Look man, I don't know if any of this is legit or just all your posts/comments//thread title/account are one big joke, but either way, you're not setting yourself out on a good note. Why would you joke about buying illegal seeds and then just go ahead and buy more...? And tell us about it. It's not okay. You're not being funny, so if that's your goal, it's not working. I don't try to judge on this forum, but man.... I would take Paul up on his offer, though I'm honestly not sure you deserve to be growing any of his seed...

Ironically, I just bought (as in one hour ago) two seed pods from ebay to try them out and see what happens. Of course buyer claims they are recent and are of one particular species.
Interesting points have been made here that I did not even consider.
Fortunately it was only $6 and can't undo it now. Guess I'll try my luck.

I suppose I'll keep an eye out on the forums for anyone who is giving away/selling seeds in the future if these truly are defunct!
Thanks for the info!

IT TAKES A LOT OF PATIENCE!!!!
I am just finishing up my seed propagating that was started in late October and the N. rafflesiana, N. maxima and to a lesser extent N. ampullaria were the only ones that germinated profusely. The others were sporadic or not at all and green and black algae were a never ending pain in the *** starting about six weeks in. I won't be doing it again and with all of the plant varieties available at reasonable prices it's just easier to get those. Don't get me wrong it was an interesting experience and with around 400 seedlings to care for it's not over yet. After trying several plant mediums I am finally settling on milled NZ sphagnum milled by me by working it between my hands through 1/4" hardware cloth. It seems to be less likely to become an algae cesspool than anything else I have tried. In the beginning I used coire to plant on and it is crap as far as I'm concerned, After two months I had to finally move the seedlings to new medium or lose them to a number of snotty masses.

Back