What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radagast's Photo Thread

Had a buddy come over who is into photography. He allowed me to use his camera to obtain some neat shots of my plants. I really like these and hope you folks enjoy looking at them as much as I have!

Drosera burmannii by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera capensis 'broad leaf' by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Nepenthes eymae xx trusmadiensis by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera scorpiodes by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Pinguicula agnata 'El Lobo' by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera capensis 'Alba' by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Awesome shots Rich. It's fun playin' around with nice cameras. I love the different shots you can get, I think the Drosera shots look especially cool.

Just an update on a few of my plants.

Nepenthes eymae x trusmadiensis by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Nepenthes burkei x hamata by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr
BONUS POINTS: If you can find the spider in the photo above.

Nepenthes ventricosa-squat x [ventricosa x (lowii x ventricosa)] by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Nepenthes 'Red Leopard' by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera burmannii by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera graomogolensis by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera scorpiodes by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera aliciae by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Nepenthes Helen x spectabilis by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr
These were grown from seed, generously given away by Whimgrinder

Stylidium debile by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Pinguicula cyclosecta by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera sessilifolia by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera capillaris by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Last edited:
Your 'Helen' x spectabilis appear to be moving a whole lot faster than mine, well done.
And, I would be suspicious of those capillaris "Long Arm" plants. Some look like they "might" be typical capillaris, but the majority look like tokaiensis. Capillaris has a fairly distinct appearance, especially the "Long Arm" forms.

Your 'Helen' x spectabilis appear to be moving a whole lot faster than mine, well done.
And, I would be suspicious of those capillaris "Long Arm" plants. Some look like they "might" be typical capillaris, but the majority look like tokaiensis. Capillaris has a fairly distinct appearance, especially the "Long Arm" forms.

Thanks. I've been keeping them in LFS/Perlite, on a water tray, under an extra-tall humidity dome. My 2-bulb T5-HO's are probably 12 or so inches above the plants. I grow them this way alongside other plants I'm propagating; mostly Drosera. They sometimes end up getting a light collateral mist when I spray my Drosera with a weak Maxsea 16-16-16 dilution but I don't have any control groups to compare it to so I cannot say whether I think that is the case.

I am keeping an eye on the Capillaris long-arm. I've heard someplace that they can, at times, grow as a flat rosette, but under the right conditions will extend upright...But lately I have not had much luck with seed turning out to be the way it is labeled. They are still very young seedlings but the one on the bottom-left of the photo is growing the fastest so I've been keeping an eye on its characteristics.

Good growing! Thanks for posting a pic of that complex EP ventricosa hybrid, I'm interested to see how different individuals of that cross turn out.

They can grow as rosettes, but even then they have characteristics unmistakable. One of them: capillaris has petioles that stay the same width from center to lamina, tokaiensis gradually widen from center out (taking from the spatulata genes). I have a long arm capillaris, so I'm looking at them with something to compare to.

Was totally blown away by the difference in pitcher size in my Nepenthes bongso below. If you look at the top of the pot you can see one of the original pitchers that the plant had when I got it several months ago. Since then I've been squirting a Maxsea 16-16-16 dilution into each pitcher 1-2x per month. Very eager to see how this pitcher looks once it opens!
Nepenthes bongso 10/6/2015 by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Pinguicula agnata 'El Lobo' 10/6/2015 by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Pinguicula 'Apasionada' 10/6/2015 by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Pinguicula moranensis x ehlersiae by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Stylidium debile 10/6/2015 by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Stylidium debile flower 10/6/2015 by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Seedlings still looking good!
Nepenthes 'Helen' x spectabilis by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Really love the color on this one. Eager to collect the seeds and see how they turn out
Drosera burmannii 10/6/2015 by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Good update man, that N. bongso pitcher jump is amazing!

Thanks! I think I'm going to decrease the amount and frequency that they're fed. At this rate they'll outgrow my grow rack in no time.

Well now I've seen just about everything. Just the other day I was inspecting my Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor. I looked down inside a pitcher that is beginning to dry up and noticed an unidentified species of Drosera seed that had germinated inside the pitcher. Very cool!

Drosera growing inside heliamphora heterodoxa x minor by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

That's awesome!

December 2015 Update

Just a few recent pics I like to wrap up 2015...

Seed grown Nepenthes 'Helen' x spectabilis- Thanks Whimgrinder! They're still doing great!

Nepenthes 'Helen' x spectabilis by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera prolifera in LFS/Perlite with a top dressing of live LFS- Thanks Johnny!
Drosera prolifera by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera schizandra leaf cutting - Thanks Johnny!
Drosera schizandra leaf cutting by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Heliamphora het x minor producing new pitcher
Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

My Pinguicula Collection beginning to slow down for the winter
My Pinguicula Collection by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera hamiltonii recovering from repotting & root cutting
Drosera hamiltonii by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Cephalotus follicularis "Emu Point"
Cephalotus follicularis "Emu Point" by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Cephalotus follicularis 'Hummer's Giant'
Cephalotus follicularis 'Hummer's Giant' by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Nepenthes bongso
Nepenthes bongso by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Nepenthes ventricosa "Black Peristome"
Nepenthes ventricosa "Black Peristome" by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Nepenthes "Lady Luck" slowly recovering from a silly "death globe"
Nepenthes "Lady Luck" by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera capensis x spatulata grown under T8's
Drosera capensis x spatulata by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera capensis x spatulata grown under T5-HO's
Drosera capensis x spatulata by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Drosera 'Watari'
Drosera 'Watari' by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

The Grow Rack - Took off the humidity dome on the top left tray
My Collection 12/2015 by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Wow your plants look fantastic! What is that purple ping with green towards the middle? I gotta get me one of those ;)

Looking good! Wow, that N. bongso has really grown since you got it.

Beautiful N. bongso! D. prolifera is one of my favorite dews. :)

Wow your plants look fantastic! What is that purple ping with green towards the middle? I gotta get me one of those ;)
Looks like P. cyclosecta, and a happy one at that.

Thanks everybody for the compliments. You are correct, that is my cyclosecta. The purple leaves on the outer edge are the last surviving carnivorous leaves. The green leaves are the result of the plant transitioning into its succulent phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything looks awesome Rich. I love seeing the plants I give away fall into such capable hands.

I'd like to take a moment to shine some spotlight on one of my favorite non-carnivorous plants. Tacca chantrieri also known as, the Black Bat Flower. There are approximately 17 distinct species of plants within the genus Tacca. They are relatively rare in cultivation. Your best bet is to find one online. Although depending on your climate, you may be able to find one at a local nursery that occasionally stocks unusual plants. My advice is to call around. The nursery at which I found mine didn't have them in the retail greenhouse; and only had 3 in the 'employees only' greenhouse.

I have found some resources that state this plant is "very difficult" to grow. This, however, has not been my experience. At the end of the post you will find a care guide specific to my conditions. You may need to make adjustments to suit your environment.

Taken 1/11/2016
Tacca chantrieri by Radagast The Brown, on Flickr

Taken 1/17/2016

Taken 1/27/2016

Taken 1/28/2016

Taken 1/28/2016

I am in no way an expert on this genus/species. Here is the way in which I have been growing it in my own conditions...

Black Bat Plant Cultivation As a Houseplant:

Light: My plant sits in an Eastern window and gets bright morning sun for about 3 hours. Then it has indirect/shade the rest of the day. This plant grows in tropical conditions, on the ground, underneath the forest canopy. It does not require intense light.

Temperature: My plant is doing well with average comfortable household temperatures around 60-75 degrees Fahrenheit.

Humidity: My home is not that humid. I keep a spray bottle filled with pure water next to the plant. I try to mist it once or twice a day. If I don't mist it for a week it doesn't seem to care all that much.

Soil: My plant is in a generic coarse mix made for orchids. These plants grow on the ground in tropical areas. If you make your own mix, choose materials that will provide really good drainage. Peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, coco fiber, bark chips, lava rock, etc. It should resemble a good coarse "earthy" mix that doesn't act like concrete when wet!

Watering: Personally, I put the plant pot into a deep, inexpensive plastic water tray. I never let my plant go longer than 1-2 days without approximately one half inch of water in the tray. I water the plant "overhead" from the top, and let the water run out of the bottom and collect in the saucer. Once I notice the water has evaporated from the saucer, I water again. In my conditions, if I do not do this, the plant wilts overnight but bounces back if I catch it soon enough.

Watering Part 2: This variety of bat plant is an evergreen, and does not go "dormant" so to speak...However it is said that they go through a rest period where growth is quite slow, and might even halt altogether for a period of time. During this period of time, you should not water the plant until you begin to notice the leaves "droop" or wilt a little bit. Then feel free to give it a drink and the leaves will perk back up.

Feeding: I fertilize my plant with a balanced "Maxsea 12-12-12" fertilizer twice a month. Follow your manufacturer's recommendations.

Pruning: The plant's leaves get quite large. Once in a while aas you notice several new, healthy leaves forming, feel free to snip off 1 or 2 of the HUGE old leaves. (Always use clean scissors/shears that you have sanitized with some rubbing alcohol.) This was a tip given to me by the greenhouse manager of a local nursery.

Flowers: The flower stalks may need to be staked upright to best show-off the blooms. Although this is not necessary. They do NOT make good "cut flowers" for arrangements. When cut, the flower quickly declines.

Propagation:

1.) Rhizome division: The plant is said to enjoy being re-potted every spring. Don't re-pot the plant if it is actively blooming. During the re-potting process you may divide the plant's rhizomes to create new plants.

2.) Seeds: I have not yet tried them by seed. I've read that this species is self-fertile and can pollinate itself. The seed pods need to stay ON the plant and ripen for 12-15 months. The pod will dry, and begin to split, revealing the seeds. The seeds must be very fresh. I'll have more info on this if/when I try to mess around with this plant's seeds.

For further reading I'd recommend...

Plants Rescue - Tacca chantrieri

Youtube - Tacca Bat Plant Care

Back