What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Water ...

Hi all ... this is a question for the experts really

I know that the following is not to be used
Bottled Mineral Water and Tap Water contain far to many chemical’s and mineral’s that the plant does not like.
River Water to be avoided due to chemicals and pesticides that may run into the water.

Save to use and by far the best is Rain Water.

Now the other option is RO (Reverse Osmosis)
So how far does one have to filter to 50, 3, 1, 0.1nm

Is there any other methods of obtaining good water for this plants that someone can add that I have not already listed.

Many thanks Noddy

Im no expert but I put my plants out in the rain when it does rain to flush the soil. And I buy gallon jugs of distilled water for .99 each. Depending on how hot it is out side I usually use 1 gallon of water every week to 2 weeks. That's for 8 pots between 4-10 inches and 1 really big rectangular pot that I have all of my baby sun Dews growing in for now. I don't know what difference it would make but I'm using 50:50 peat and sand. Hope that helped

Yes I forgot about Distilled water so we have Distilled water or Rain Water as the top 2 solutions to the problem is there any other methods someone would like to add.

I use all RO water for my plants. the general rule of thumb is under 50 ppm is ok for CPs. most units will spit out 0-15 ppm.

I have not tested the water at all, but I use water I collect out of a dehumidifier. I live in a basement apt. and the unit will wring about 2 gal. a day out of the air, give or take. I figures there can't be that much impurities in humidity can there?

I just leave out big trays when it rains. Then I put the water in a huge jug in my garage so algae don't grow.

Thanks MylegsG can I ask did you add any buffer or salts to the water since as you may know the water that comes out is approx 4.5ph and if though this climbs fast in open air, the PH level is not stable. Did this affect any of the plants?

Hi Shortbus that's the sort of ideas I was looking for dehumidifier another tried and tested method I take it, how long have you been using this method for? Hopefully with success.

Thanks Plant Planter... it's good method if you run short during the summer months to stock up in the rainy season for sure...

Any more ideas... tried and tested please... that's see if there's any other alternatives out there...

Thanks Noddy

I have not tested the water at all, but I use water I collect out of a dehumidifier. I live in a basement apt. and the unit will wring about 2 gal. a day out of the air, give or take. I figures there can't be that much impurities in humidity can there?

Actually, I've been thinking about doing this. Your logic seems to make sense to me. Of course, I doubt I'll run out of water anytime soon.

I never water my plants, i save a lot of money and time,

I use water mill express water i fil a 5 gal jug for $1.50 its a RO system we have lots of thoose around were i live.

For the most part I use collected rain water and to a smaller extent purchased RO/DI water. But those were already mentioned. :)

Something I didn't see mentioned is the water what comes from your air conditioner. It's condensation run-off so should have a low TDS though individual results may vary. I collected some from my unit a couple years ago and it was less than 10ppm. It's not a fast water source but you could get a gallon or two per day by leaving a bucket under the drain pipe.

I have never had the water from the dehumidifier tested, but other than the copper coil and the plastic surfaces the water comes in contact with, I don't know how much salts or solids could be dissolved in humidity in Iowa lol. Been using it for a year or so with seemingly no ill effects.

I suppose I better get it tested though as I just thought about pH. That might be a variable to consider.

Thanks MylegsG can I ask did you add any buffer or salts to the water since as you may know the water that comes out is approx 4.5ph and if though this climbs fast in open air, the PH level is not stable. Did this affect any of the plants?

Hi Shortbus that's the sort of ideas I was looking for dehumidifier another tried and tested method I take it, how long have you been using this method for? Hopefully with success.

Thanks Plant Planter... it's good method if you run short during the summer months to stock up in the rainy season for sure...

Any more ideas... tried and tested please... that's see if there's any other alternatives out there...

Thanks Noddy

Last edited:
Back