What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all, I was active on these forums a long time ago but I just recently rejoined. I had a few questions for you about pot sizes for certain plants. I know that VFTs need a pot depth of 6in+ because their roots grow straight down but I also want to find out the depths/dimensions of pots needed for the following species to reach their full potential in size. This is in regards to full size mature plants. thank you for your time.

Saracennia: S minor Okefenokee, S. Danas Delight, S Judith Hindle

Drosera: Capensis, Filiformis Florida Giant, Marstons Dragon, Spatulata

Pinguicula: Moranensis J

Nepenthes" Ventrata x Alata

The capensis and spatulata would likely be fine in 4" pots for a while. If Marston Dragons are like others related to binata then they can get fairly robust roots and might appreciate more depth. Plus, they get quite large anyways.

Mexican Pings have notoriously shallow roots. They don't need much.

D. capensis tends to grow fairly extensive, thick roots as well. It doesn't care too much whether you put it in a smaller or larger pot, but in smaller pots it usually grows roots out of the drainage holes, then grows plantlets from the roots and you soon have a carpet of capensis.

I'd put the Sarracenia in a 6+ inch pot, eventually they may prefer larger pots, but only if they aren't divided

Unless you live in the Great White North, or are in a situation where it just isn't possible, you'd do better to keep the Sarrs, VFTs and hardy Dews in half barrels, or better yet in the ground. Less work! Fwiw I had a typical VFT and numerous Sarrs survive last winter in a completely unprotected half barrel. I live just outside of Philadelphia, zone 6B, and our winter was the coldest in living memory. S. rubra wasn't happy, and S. leucophylla REALLY wasn't happy, but both recovered, and are now in the ground. Purps, a flava cross, VFTs and Dews all never missed a beat.

D. capensis tends to grow fairly extensive, thick roots as well. It doesn't care too much whether you put it in a smaller or larger pot, but in smaller pots it usually grows roots out of the drainage holes, then grows plantlets from the roots and you soon have a carpet of capensis.
I can vouch for that. I just cleaned the water tray for my capensis today and got a bit of a surprise... There was just a tiny little nub sticking out of the bottom of the pot a year ago when I got it and it turns out this has been hiding under all the algae.
8Ifsck5.jpg

Back