What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about colorless tentacle dews

DrWurm

Californian in DC
So, we've all seen sundew varieties where the individual tentacles hold no color. Today, I took some photos of my Drosera indica and posted them to flickr (I made a separate thread showcasing the photos). One observant flickrite drew my attention to something on this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drwurm/3498980264/

"Wow..are those little brown things seeds or something?"

I answered as best I could, but I'm still puzzled. So my question is, do the glands of colorless tentacled drosera change color when feeding?

Jason

Just an educated guess, but I would say enzyme concentration at the glands, possibly coupled with liquefied bug guts.

The color anthocyanin changes with pH so it is possible the digestive enzymes could affect the color of the glands. The plant may not be anthocyanin free even though the tentacles appear colorless.

On my Drosera capensis "white" I've never noticed any color changes while the plant was feeding on prey.

On my Drosera regia the dew droplets will get infused with red if there is anything to digest.

I did notice that on my D. capensis "red" (on a plant that was greener) that when I fed it, the portions of the leaf I fed had red blotches on them. The tentacles also changed from bright red to a dark maroon until it was done digesting.

Back