What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I received some gemmae of D. occidentalis a few months ago and sowed them in peat moss and perlite under my lights with an 18hr photoperiod. All of my sundews, including other pigmies, seem to love the conditions except for these. They're growing but hardly produce any dew. Tonight I looked at them closely and I noticed that 2 of them were flowering!
I found this to be very strange since they've not been sowed for more then 2-3 months. I know some species only flower when stressed and seeing as how they dont seem to be looking in tip top shape I am guessing that this would be the reason why.

Has anyone seen this phenomenon before? If any seeds are produced are the viable? Thanks for inputs

EDIT: just saw a similar post by SK,(if you're reading this SK) did you get any seeds? Did the plants die after? Thanks!

Last edited:
I got some D. Sargentii gemmae last season from mark.ca and now every plant is sending up flower stalks. I didn't know it was out of the ordinary though.

3394069308_ac1b12b4e2.jpg

i have some D. helodes and d. occidentalis flowering right now too. It could be that my greenhouse conditions threw them off...they seem to be rather healthy though... ? ? ?

No, they aren't stressed at all! They are looking good! Flowering won't set them back a bit. (I'll repost a similar reply to SirK's thread).They will open hundreds of flowers over their lifetime if given the same conditions you're giving them right now. Seems most people still don't know that flowering after 2-3 months is normal if they have good lighting, and the proper media & pot height. There are only a few species that haven't flowered for me after 2-3 months. Those are D. palacea complex (selliflora and roseana). Even flowering constantly through their lifetime, some of the plants will easily survive 3+ years. There's no risk of death from flowering, unless they look like they're near death already.
I don't think that D. occidentalis will produce seeds, but there are a few species that will, including D. pulchella and D. omissa, which have produced seeds for me before.

Some pygmy Drosera will flower for months on end. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

yep mine are pretty much constantly flowering right now o.o lol
and they started flowering at only 2 months i think it was

Every flower of Drosera occidentalis subsp. occidentalis will make seeds...just a few small black ones. The flowers are self-pollinating so just relax and they will do their thing. For germination you only need patience and luck!
There is nothing wrong with your plants...this specie just looks more fragile than most others.
Good to see yours is doing great DrWurm...too bad the flowers look like crap on this specie!

I'm having some gemmae from this fall sending up flowers - like D. badgerup, D. carburup, allantostisma x omissa.

Picture051.jpg

I would agree that this is not a bad thing. You might try giving a longer photoperiod and increased nutrition to further stimulate the flowering process.

Back