What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pygmies dormant now?

Weird on the scorpioides problems. I grow mine indoors year round, inside temps. get to 90 sometimes, we've had a REALLY HOT summer so far here. My 8 month old scorpioides are doing fine under a T12 light with no air circulation. Sitting in a water tray kept about 1/4 - 1/2 inches deep.

Drosera scorpiodes was one of the iffy pygmys I grew. Some seasons I'd get some plants that went dormant. If they did, they rarely returned. I think for most species the real goal should be to constantly maintain the water in the trays thereby preventing a major stress trigger.

D. androsacea

D. leucoblasta

D. oreopodion
D. pycnoblasta

D. sewelliae

D. spilos

All were sensitives in my collection, probably others but these come to mind.

I have all those and they give me headaches! So does D. callistos and anything with allantostigma in it, as well as the lasiantha, echinoblastus....

Thanks for the list of plants that I personally should stay away from :lol:

....and that was Josh, a/k/a Swords...

Gotcha, that's what I figured. I guess we have two Josh's from MN here lol.

Make your own list!
From the ones listed by Tamlin i never had any problems with citrina, grievei, hyperostigma, leucoblasta, microscapa, oreopodion, pycnoblasta, sewelliae and spilos.
Different growing conditions make different results. I'm usually ignoring lists of hard to grow pygmy drosera. This is why some find one species easy and others find it hard to grow. For me i'm more careful with closterostigma and stelliflora. Miniata, eneabba, leucoblasta and androsacea go dormant for me but they come back with no problem when the temps go down.

I hear ya. There's a lot of overlap with challenging plants but while Mach struggles with pulchellas, I find them to be extremely easy. I also find that while some species gave me a hard time the first time around, they were much better the second time around (D. manni & D. lasiantha). Sometimes I had "beginner's luck (D. callistos) and struggle the next time. My wholesale greenhouse friend is more than willing to help me out with pots... especially the taller ones:

If You need pots, well, I have lots of those. I don't feel as tho I have even BEGUN to repay you for your great generosity in sharing your plants with me. Please let me know what I can do !
best regards. Louise

So with taller pots and more appropriate watering, with more plants in a sand/peat mixture, things should go a lot better next year.

Well, either way it seems the ones that seem to overlap the most on the easy side are the ones I'd like to give a try. I'm currently thinking roseana, niditula x puchella, Lake Badgerup, scorpiodes, pygmae, puchella, and mannii.

This is what gets me.... "The good (healthy), the bad (dormant), and the ugly (dead)", all in the same pot:

Picture057.jpg

Jim, what size pots are you pygmies in?

Height or surface area? Various sizes, whatever I have on hand. Next year, taller ones for sure, through my greenhouse friend.

Diameter...I think. I'm just trying to find square pots and was going to order from flytrapshop but I wasn't sure if I should get the 2.25" or 3.5" pots. I'll have only 2-3 plants per pot to start out with.

Truthfully, height is more important than surface area.

Thanks Jim, I'll keep that in mind.

Back