What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post VP debate thread

DrWurm

Californian in DC
I was surprised at how well Palin did, but I think that was mainly because she was dodging questions and falling back on her favorite talking points. I noticed at some points that the flow of her words was more of a speech than of a debate. She did show her teeth a bit, which is good for her. Palin looked very confident when on her talking points.

I thought Biden clearly came off as more experienced, and had some good one liners like the healthcare bridge to nowhere. He had a few stumbles, but he seemed to be more in the spirit of a debate. He did a good job not getting carried away on any pointless issues. He didn't touch Palin directly much, which was expected, although she did not return the favor.

It was pointed out that the moderation system was rather lax for this debate. I don't think Palin could have gotten away with as much canned material as she did had this been a more strongly moderated debate.

I honestly think Biden had more airtime to get his point across than Palin. The moderator kept letting him rebuttal, and then assigning a new question to Palin.

The real question is, who was telling the truth and who was just talking the talk. I think Palin missed out on a big opportunity to slam dunk Biden regarding Kissinger. Right after the 1st Presidential Debate, Kissinger responded saying that he does not favor Obama's no terms meeting with Iran's President. Biden today repeated the same nonsense that Kissinger was on the same page as him and Obama.

Here's what I found on Biden's truth telling so far:
http://kevinmccullough.townhall.com/blog/g/28816378-de04-46d0-ac99-bcb7f37226fa

Yes it may be from a Palin bias blog, but facts are facts, statements are statements, and voting records are voting records.

the moderator had to be lax with Palin.....she has a pro-Obama book coming out.......to be overly aggressive to Palin would have been a hit to what lil credibility the demo's have

those that said Obama won the last debate cause he "did better than expected given his lack of experience" gotta be eating their words tonight cause if they use that to justify Obama getting a win over McCain instead of the dead tie most call it then Palin won by a landslide....

Biden spent almost as much time criticizing Bush as he did McCain.......loved the way Palin nailed him on always dwelling in the past if his ticket is about change.........she also pointed out how she has changed the government in her state instead of just talking about it like Obama/Biden

Biden lied on about half the things he said he voted on or against that McCain "voted with him" .....McCain did not......also the Clinton 100,000 cops on the street was a bunch of BS that bill was almost completely just gun control and did almost nothing to get more cops on the street

dont understand the global warming question.....neither are climatologists and she wanted a climatologist's answer.........

Biden gave the McCain campaign TONS of quotes to use against him cause he said one thing in the debate which was the exact opposite of what he actually did......

he is also full of crap saying Obama was after the Bush administration to make changes to Fannie Mae and company before McCain.....McCain was rallying against it BEFORE Obama was a US senator.....

Palin did damn good tonight, better than i even expected......surprised how well even the MSM said she did given their love affair with Obama

Hopefully factcheck.org will have a full article on the lies tomorrow.

Early polls are showing Biden as the winner, but we'll see.

depends what polls yah go by...... i can show yah a half dozen where Palin was the winner, half dozen where Biden was the winner...........overall i say bout a tie on performance but definatly a better one to watch than the Obama/McCain one.....cant fault Palin for sticking to McCains policies......thats what EVERY VP has done in these debates.....once the facts are layed out i give the slight edge to Palin.......but defiantly not a grand slam if yah throw out the Obama win cause he did "better than expected" last week...........

Dr. Wurm i encourage you to look this one up your self:

he is also full of crap saying Obama was after the Bush administration to make changes to Fannie Mae and company before McCain.....McCain was rallying against it BEFORE Obama was a US senator.....

McCain submitted a bill to reign in Fannie Mae and company in 2005(january i believe) it was voted down when it finally got infront of the senate in 2007......Obama became a senator in 2006 and has never submitted legislation to do any reigning in.....

I loved it. Palin got slammed. She didn’t embarrass herself for one reason; she’s a maverick who has a lot of exp. being an Alaskan mayor, governor, and oil executive. That’s all the idiot said! She dodged the real question oh, I dunno, 50 times?

Hopefully her true self will come across to the public. She seems to be a nice enough normal woman, but I do not want my friends mom running the country. She is an "average American". I don’t want an average person to be president (one heartbeat away!)! I want someone better & smarter than me to be president, which is obviously not her!

I was very happy how well biden did, and the 2 or 3 slam dunks he got in. Parties aside, you had to be a little touched when he choked up about his sons.

Anyway, good job Senator Biden! :D

I didn't know Palin has a Psychiatry Phd that's impressive! "Iran's president isn't sane" she has to be a psychologist to make such a diagnosis, she must've read more than Bushbot 2000 to get that degree. I mean, it's not like he was singing "bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Isarel" to the tune of the Beach Boys or anything. ;)

Biden is one boring old fart, just like the other boring old fart that's running. I'd much rather see it be Obama VS Palin and the other two clowns as Veeps.

I thought they both did really well!

its no suprise Biden would do well..he's a classic Washington guy, been doing this for decades..he's very polished and experienced in all this.

I WAS suprised at how well Palin did!
she was a complete unknown as far as these debates go..we have never seen her do this before, I thought she did great! she "held her own" againt a member of the "Old Boys Club" and I thought her confidence increased as the debate went on..

as far as "who won the debate" those polls about the "winner" are utterly pointless..
if you are voting for Obama, you think Biden won..if you are voting for McCain, you think Palin won..no big surprise there..

I thought it was a good debate!
they both did really well..

I liked what Palin had to say better than Biden, but not because of HOW Biden said it, but WHAT he said...im still not in favor of increasing taxes and INCREASING spending..which of course is what liberal politics is all about..take from the rich and give to the poor..
and always take MORE from the rich and give MORE to the poor..its clear Obama wants to ramp that up as much as possible..which is very bad for the economy and the health of our country in general..

I liked that Palin continued to emphaize that her ticket is about decreasing taxes and especially decreasing spending..thats what we really need from our government right now...not more and more endless entitlement programs..

Scot

It is easy to say "Palin did well" when expectations of her were pretty low to begin with and far below what they were for Biden. Her "doing well" just means she didn't further embarrass herself and McCain.

While she certainly didn't look like a deer in headlights and talk like a babbling idiot as she did with Katie Couric, I thought many of her answers sounded "plastic"--rehearsed. And they were...after weeks of reclusive and intensive coaching. Was Biden sequestered and rehearsed? The Obama camp didn't need to do that. Biden spoke fluently and with great expertise right off the top of head...because he has the personal knowledge and experience to be able to do that.

Wasn't it a clue to the people of the U.S. when Palin said "Hey, I've only been at this for, what, 5 weeks?" Those were HER OWN WORDS. "Been at this" for five weeks??!! And that's who you'd like to see running this country if something were to happen to McCain??

I am stunned that the American public has been so gulliable as to be sucked in by "country charm" in a race for VICE PRESIDENT --that she's a hockey mom, has a Down's Syndrome baby, can field dress a moose, can wink and says folksy things like "gosh gee" and "ya" has nothing to do with being vice-president of the United States of America. Since when did "appealing to the base" and being "folksy" become qualifications for the second most important position in this country? This isn't charm school or the Mrs. USA Contest! If those are vice/presidential qualities then we have hundreds of thousands of moms across the US who can run for VP too!

Sure...she's personable and homey. She's family oriented. She likes to walk in the woods. She's probably a nice person. But her "down home charm" will not mean much if she is put in the position of facing a nuclear crisis with Iran. There is a REASON Palin has been sequestered from reporters and interviews. The disaster with Katie Couric was a prime example of Palin being interviewed by a skilled journalist who can bypasses her surface charm and get down to the knitty gritty of what kind of understanding does she have (or NOT have) of political issues. Which is next to nil.

And, really, for someone who talks about the importance of education, someone needs to tell Palin it's not "nuke-you-ler"...it's pronounced "nu-klee-ar." Nu.cle.ar. I guess she picked that up from her buddy Bush.

All Palin did last nite was smile, wink and exude downhome moose-stew charm. She brings NOTHING to the McCain ticket but fear she will end up as Pres.

I thought Biden was relaxed, firm, clear, stayed on point, spoke from his experience with great assurance. He spoke passionately and with great expertise. I thought he did a fantastic job!

The debate made me feel even more positive about the team of Obama and Biden. Palin only made me feel more horrified that she might end up as President. Although I wouldn't vote for McCain to begin with because of his platform, his ticket became down-right SCARY when he took on Palin.

No one will be PERFECT, but I'm hoping Obama will bring fresh air, enthusiasm and a new outlook on politics supported by Biden with his expertise and experience.

I am glad to see Sarah Palin supports gay rights. LOL

Wasn't it a clue to the people of the U.S. when Palin said "Hey, I've only been at this for, what, 5 weeks?" Those were HER OWN WORDS. "Been at this" for five weeks??!! And that's who you'd like to see running this country if something were to happen to McCain??

Lame distortion of the facts..

using that logic, Biden has "been at this" for 6 weeks..
icon-rolleyes.gif

and McCain has "been at this" for 5 months, while Obama has "been at this" for only 4 months..

That gives McCain/Palin a combined 6 months and 1 week of experience,
while Obama/Biden only have 5 months and 2 weeks of experience..

therefore McCain/Palin are SO much more worthy to govern!!
icon-rolleyes.gif

I hate pointless distoritions like that..
you should know better than that PAK! ;)

Scot

so PAK.....your going with Biden though half of his points were McCain voted the same as me which were wrong.....he lied to you.......

your going with Obama/Biden though he said in his closing statement "ive been at this for 35 years now and i am not going to change"......when Palin has actually done hands on government reforn that helped the working class much more than big business......McCain has the history behind him showing he is actually more for change than Obama........

as far as her pronunciations.....BFD i didnt attack Obama for his horrible pronounciations in his debate....different ppl from different places talk different

Obama and Biden are neck deep in the cause of the Fannie Mae and friends fall out and McCain actually tried to put the breaks on it YEARS ago before it crashed......

Obama's plans are to increase spending and taxes.....McCain's is to cut taxes and spending.......

as a tax payer in this country it scares the living **** out of me what Obama's presidency will do to this nation.........not to mention totally f'up the supreme court when they are finally seem to be mostly going with the constitution and not legislating from the bench.....

McCain has voted 100% for tax payers according to outside investigation parties only reason he aint top rated by that place is he hasnt been present for all the votes though if you go by his remarks about the bills he missed the vote on he is still 100% of the time voting to help out Joe Six Pack.....Obama's rating is 18% for the tax payer

i dont get why in the hell you people sit and praise Obama about what he says and flat out ignore the fact that what he has actually done when he gets a chance to do change is completely different.....

I started to watch the 'debate' but fairly quickly figured out that I didn't have the stomach to watch 2 professional politicians for that long (I recorded it in case I change my mind).

She dodged the real question oh, I dunno, 50 times?
This became apparent quickly. Rather than answer the moderator's questions, she just gave canned, pre-prepared speeches. When Biden noted that she hadn't answered one question, she actually said that she didn't need to and that she was speaking to the 'American public'. :poke: This morning when I read a few 'summaries' of the how each did, none even mentioned the dodging issue. I really thought that a debate was to provide responses to specific questions (& rebuttals to the other's answers) - guess I was wrong... ??? :headwall:

Obama's plans are to increase spending and taxes.....McCain's is to cut taxes and spending.......
One of the big issues I have with the politicians is their zeal to 'cut taxes'. Cutting taxes gets infinite airtime & reducing spending gets almost none. Our current leader was/is famous for this with both his words and his actions. If we do not start to balance the budget, our status within the world will drop dramatically and those holding our debt may stop the practice (this is one of the reasons for the current bailout - but not making it to the public's ears. Paulson looked into this abyss ...)

on thing ill point out on the fact checker fact sight is that most of the "cost" for McCain's health care plan is actually lost revenue to the government due to lost taxes due to tax breaks given to the tax payer so yes it does "cost" the government....technically......the "cost" on Obama's is actual spending of tax dollars through increasing taxes......so while the numbers are right the numbers dont tell the whole story......

what surprises me on that fact checker site is the stuff they didnt go after.....i pointed out a couple fib's on Biden's part that they didnt

Reduce taxes! reduce takes! YES! You HAVE to reduce spending if you reduce taxes because taxes is how the federal government is funded. So yes, reduce taxes. Its not like our government in debt needs more money. We can always borrow from China.

Palin doesn't even use actual sentences. If you look at the transcript, she just rambles in a stream-of-consciousness way, stringing together rehearsed phrases. It was frankly embarrassing and hard to watch. For example, her incoherent nuclear weapons answer:

” Uh, nuclear weaponry, of course, would be the be-all, end-all of just too many people and too many parts of our planet so those dangerous regimes again cannot be allowed to acquire nukuler weapons, period.”

Yikes.

The polls are showing a solid Biden victory pretty much across the board. Palin didn't go totally blank-faced and freeze up like she did over and over in the Couric interviews, but holy cow, that's about as low a standard as one could ever come up with. We should expect a lot more out of our candidates. Biden was competent, composed, and showed he at least knew what he was saying.

And rattler, please. Obama has a tax cut planned for 95% of the households out there, including you and me. Stop saying he wants to increase taxes. It's just not true.

Capslock

my two bits:

Palin Gave shoutouts in a completely unrelated question/answer segment.

That is all.

Maybe it was just me, but Palin seemed overly rehearsed. Flat-out dodging questions never helps either. Biden seemed more plastic and seemed to get a better grasp of the questions, and thus his answers were better delivered.

Personally, I don't like Palin's homeyness; it adds frosting to her inexperienced-based cake.

Back