What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant studies and responses with LED's

I recovered my damaged file, actually I found a back up I had forgotten about :)

To watch you must first right click on the link and select "save as"
http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/research1/ledmov.mov

The presentation is a little dated. The last NASA data I've read suggest they are now experimenting with at least 5 wavelengths. The video mainly focuses on 4.

It is interesting just how differently plants react to light. Photosynthesis is also only part of the story. There are also auxiliary pigments and their functions.

In addition, plants are not the only need to be considered. Certain wavelengths retard the sporation of the phytopathogen botrytis, while others trigger the sporation of the beneficial trichoderma fungus.

Anyhow, enjoy the lecture... its a good one.
Av

Led lighting is a waste of money IMHO for less $$ you can purchase a nice 250 - 400 watt MH and have a ton of lumens.

it's not just about the lumens, its about synergistic effects. there are many pathogens that plague CPs, one of which botrytis which Av8tor1 mentions. if i were able to grow CPs well and also keep fungal infections at bay, i would consider that much better than growing CPs well and having them succumb to infections. this is indeed useful information.

botryis most commonly know as grey mold?
Of course it's infesting your plants because of the consistently wet or humid conditions, maybe you're not providing sufficient ventilation.

yes, terrorizer you do bring up a good point. however, in certain aspects of cultivation, you're going to find out that quite a few CPs require a high humidity environment to grow, not all CPs but there are still many. high humidity also is required to propagate leaves from leaf cuttings. just something to consider.

Thanks for sharing Av, very interesting! I really enjoyed the lecture :D

yes, terrorizer you do bring up a good point. however, in certain aspects of cultivation, you're going to find out that quite a few CPs require a high humidity environment to grow, not all CPs but there are still many. high humidity also is required to propagate leaves from leaf cuttings. just something to consider.

I agree even though some strains of CP's do need high humidity it is still very important to provide sufficient ventilation to them, it may be a little tricky as to try not to lower the humidity but ventilation is very important when growing your pants indoors for that very reason of not getting mold.

I make cutting of other species of plants, how I do this is snip a branch at a 45 degree angle cut using sterilized razor blade, dip them in a rooting hormone i'm not sure if you can dip your CP's cuttings in this as it does contain small traces of nutrients, then stick the cut end into rock wool cubes, then into my propagation dome it goes for 2 weeks, Keep it humid and after the 2 weeks I have fresh roots and lots of them. Any one here try this with your CP's before?

Yeah, you can propogate Nepenthes by stem cuttings.

Back