What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant donations

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
I tend to grow out more plants than I need for my collection. I grow things from seed to divide plants out of curiosity or necessity to keep plants healthy. But that leaves me with way more than I care to keep. Giveaways are a way to alleviate some of the excess but I am looking for a place where I could send lots of plants. I haven't been able to just throw them out. That idea doesn't sit well with me.

So I am hoping someone knows of a place that would accept lots of plants. Ideally it would be more of an educational setting. Wouldn't care if the plants were gifted to students or anyone curious about these plants. Just rather they weren't sold.

I believe the Member LowLow does stuff like that a lot.

I believe the Member LowLow does stuff like that a lot.

Thanks for your reply. I offered that member a number of plants for their project. Nothing final yet.

But that project would me more of a "one off". Hopefully there is a facility that would continuously accept donations.

Know any science teachers? I unloaded a bunch of D. capensis on a friend of mine who teaches biology and could use them in her classroom.

heck, call local schools in your area. I'm sure someone is willing...

Perhaps talk with a local zoo or botanical garden about setting up a bog for temperates? I don't think they would mind, especially if the plants were native to the area, and you were to teach them how to grow them.

Tropicals might be harder to find homes for, but there should still be people willing to take them. Perhaps if a botanical garden has the facilities, they would be willing to take a few easy Nepenthes, Heliamphora or Drosera.

Last edited:
I am a horticulturist with UGA and maintain a public teaching collection which features CPs. I would most certainly be interested and immensely appreciative. Our plants get a lot of traffic from school groups, botanical societies, college students of many disciplines, etc. All genera succeed here and I am especially interested in things like Pings, Cephs, Helis. We do not have a budget for plant acquisition because our focus is primarily on research.

See if you think your stuff would be a good fit. If so, send me an email at kevintheplantman@gmail.com

CPs back in spring:

Rainforest:

Desert:

Primitive land plants:

Orchids:

What species and what kind of numbers are you talking about? One of the botanical gardens here does regular educational programs involving carnivorous plants for children.

If you are making large and frequent shipments interstate you'll need a nursery growers license (somewhat like a phytosanitary certificate) to put on your shipments. Otherwise you are likely to run afoul of the USDA, USPS (if used) and the Agriculture departments of the states involved.

What species and what kind of numbers are you talking about? One of the botanical gardens here does regular educational programs involving carnivorous plants for children.

If you are making large and frequent shipments interstate you'll need a nursery growers license (somewhat like a phytosanitary certificate) to put on your shipments. Otherwise you are likely to run afoul of the USDA, USPS (if used) and the Agriculture departments of the states involved.
It is my understanding--at least in my state--that the next level of permit down from that is a hobbyist's permit. Under $100 usually, and works for up to ~1000 plants/year. Our state Dept of Agriculture handles that process.

Last edited:
Kevin, I believe we can work something out! Look for my email.

Also, for future reference, check if there is a local plant swap in your area. In my city, we have 2 plant swaps a year. People bring their extras and give them away, sometimes for trade often for free. It's a good way to move a lot of plant matter.

It is my understanding--at least in my state--that the next level of permit down from that is a hobbyist's permit. Under $100 usually, and works for up to ~1000 plants/year. Our state Dept of Agriculture handles that process.

It differs from state to state. Some states have an exception permit if the sales are for fund raising (legitimate). Some, like Georgia have "hobbyist" license/permits. CA has an exception permit but it is only if sales are less than $100 per year and restricted to a geographic location (by zip code).

This isn't something to ignore because the fines for shipping without the permits can be as high as $10,000 in CA. And some states go after both the shipper and the recipient.

Your State Agriculture Department is usually the agency you want to contact. I've posted resources that list each state's agency as well as listings of the requirements/regulations for each state. Search on "Shipping plants".

Have not yet received an email--is there still any interest in this?

Know any science teachers? I unloaded a bunch of D. capensis on a friend of mine who teaches biology and could use them in her classroom.

I did a similar thing before.

Back