What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pitcher plants and adventure

DSC_2351copy.jpg

Lowland N.veitchii were thought to be growing in most part of the lower mountain range of Sarawak. Where they were sighted their population were low. Their growth habitat heath forest were mostly in inaccessible and untamed places usually at higher altitude. Through researching and interviewing one place was worth investigating. An isolated place that required a walking distance of 3 hrs through virgin jungle, a cave on the mt top where native men dwell and collect bird’s nests. The first 3 trips was unsuccessful –uncertain on the exact trail, some jungle traisl came to an abrupt end for no particular reasons and worse were those that goes up mountain only to find , after an hr or 2, it goes downhill connecting to an abandon logging road.

Sunday 18th May, 2008 we set off at first through a typical lowland slightly peaty and sandy. Not much unusual sightings, it was like most lowland that we encountered, 3 species of gingers were very common.

Plagiostachys crocydocalyx was first collected in 1865-1867 by Beccari, an Italian botanist. Inflorescence are slimy and enormous…

DSC_2427.jpg

…and the flowers are yellow.
DSC_2464.jpg

globba francisci
DSC_2428.jpg

A solitary stagehorn fern perch on a tall tree

DSC_2633copy.jpg

DSC_2630.jpg

Walking through slightly dense primary forest where trees are thin and straight and growing on the lower section near the ground are bulbophyllum with varying number of petals

DSC_2346.jpg

DSC_2347.jpg

A species of terrestrial orchid similar to one that I came across in Bario

DSC_2456.jpg

The journey continued. The forest were getting more mossy , still no sight of pitcher plants but many exotic plants in vivid colour were found growing among leaves debris.

pinanga veitchii
DSC_2561.jpg

and a species of gesneraid
DSC_2596.jpg

More unknown plants
DSC_2592.jpg

DSC_2589.jpg

DSC_2576.jpg

DSC_2597.jpg

DSC_2609.jpg

DSC_2585.jpg

DSC_2551.jpg

DSC_2436.jpg

DSC_2546.jpg

DSC_2620.jpg

Plants filling in every available space provided by nature

Creepers and ferns on boulders overgrown with an unknown moss
DSC_2590.jpg

DSC_2571.jpg

Beautiful formation by this strange creeper on tree trunk
DSC_2538.jpg

Unknown aroid
DSC_2556.jpg

Taking photos of plants slow down our journey. It was already 1.30pm by then. We have already spent 4 hours and the destination wasn’t in sight. It would take about 2 hours to walk out of the forest. Just then 2 bird nest collectors were on their way back, after selling off their harvest and returning with back pack of rations. After discussing our purpose they decided to lead the way. The final ascent was gruelling that required steep climb among exposed roots. A path the collectors purposely chosen, not having to waste making temporary wooden ladder which rot later but making full use of what nature provide.

The highest point where they dwell contain caves where the oriental swiftlets populate. The bird nests were priceless and command high price. Hard life but the return was handsome. Except for cooking pots everything were what nature provided. Table and stool were made from hardy sticks.

DSC_2614.jpg

DSC_2618.jpg

Enjoying the impressive view down below, from 700 meter above

DSC_2616.jpg

DSC_2625.jpg

Right above the cave was the heath forest. We made a quick investigation and saw veitchii, gracilis, reinwardtiana, and hirsuta.There maybe others and hybrids but we’re running out of time. Took some photos and hastily made a quick descent before nightfall, promising to return another day.

Veitchii growing on exposed boulder

DSC_2607.jpg

DSC_2604.jpg

DSC_2601.jpg

DSC_2603.jpg

Thanks again for viewing

WOW ! That must have been a great time.

epic.

Awesome! It always amazes me how Nepenthes in the wild can grow on boulders like that.

Sweet, you grow any nepenthes yourself?

Speechless..... wow

thats a very impressive journey, I'm incredibly jealous

We made a quick investigation and saw veitchii, gracilis, reinwardtiana, and hirsuta.

Where are the N. reinwardtiana pics?! Great photos; looks like an awesome trip. I am eternally envious.

The one thing I have to say is how much more beastly wild Nepenthes are. Often times they look like they've been through hell and back; and still look fantastic! Treat Nepenthes like babies? I don't think so.

xvart.

Thank all for viewing.

capensis, the boulder contain build up peat sediments, moss formed and veitchii seeds brought by wind settled and germinate from there. Just my assumption.

xvart, the reinwardtiana are common lowland green form and i give it a miss, having seen and photograph them in numerous location + time was running out. Photography setup using tripod and maunal focusing (my prefered method) takes time. I wish there are high quality all purpose camera, light for travel, handheld that deliver crisp sharp photos.

Back