What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula medusina

Hey Ping lovers!

Check out this new addition to 'world of pinguicula'. Great article about Forbes and Noah and their find of P. medusina. The plants are incredible!
Peter
smile_k_ani_32.gif

http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/pages_principales/changes.htm

I've read about that on the internet earlier this year and it does infact sound like a very fun plant to grow indeed!

Very interesting... Are these guys in cultivation yet? I love the elongate Pings and I'll definitely be looking forward to this one. I hope it's compact enough to be managable indoors; it looks like it can get pretty big in the wild.
~Joe

I know some of our Europe friends have these, but i have not seen them in the US!
smile_h_32.gif

What a shame as they are fascinating plants.

I have searched high and low for plants or seeds but no luck.
Peter.

I've had this species for a few years now. I've managed to propagate a few from leaf-pullings, and some from the plantlets that form on the tips of the leaves.

I have yet to discover conditions that inspire the growth exhibited by the wild plants. So far, they simply continue well, but rarely grow larger in diameter than a nickle coin.

Wow, are you saying the entire plant is the diameter of a nickle? Or are you referring to the body of the plant and not the leaves? I can imagine those would be rather cute in miniature. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures, would you?
~Joe

Joseph, had you had these flower? Since they are rare on this side of the pond, perhaps sometime soon you could get some seed?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Nov. 04 2006,4:25)]Wow, are you saying the entire plant is the diameter of a nickle? Or are you referring to the body of the plant and not the leaves? I can imagine those would be rather cute in miniature. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures, would you?
~Joe
Yes, no larger diameter than a nickle, often no larger than a dime. I keep trying different cultural things, different media, lighting, temperatures. So far, nothing has helped. No, I haven't managed to get them to bloom, so far.

Do ya have any pictures of it?

-Ben

Sorry, I meant to get some photos, but have not, so far. The next time they are in active Summer growth, I will make sure that I get photos.

I have tried the coral, and aragonite as media amendments. But today I plan to use a little gypsum to see if that might be beneficial. If the gypsum inspires larger growth, once Summer leaves begin again, I will be pleased.

Joseph, i think you're on the right track there with the gypsum idea. Perhaps you should try pure gypsum?

Check out the quote below from Noah and Forbes on their visit to Mexico:

Also, the plant habit was much more similar to the P. medusina plants we had seen than to our previous experience with P. heterophylla. But this plant couldn't be P. medusina! After all, P. medusina, as we all know, grows in Gypsum soils and is red in colour!

Hi Joseph,

I grow this species on pure gypsum and it reached very large diameter, many leaf plantlets.

You can also try a mix of and calcareous cat litter that you will mix with water to do like a sludge, let it dry and use it for growing your plant in putting the bulb in a hole you will manage in the media.

You water it as usual with mexican Pinguicula except that in winter I let it try to have the bulb resting few centimeters down the media.

I tryied also on organic neutral media (pH around 7)sold in garden center in France for garden flowers seedlings (I will give you the composition) it give smaller P. medusina. This media used pure is giving impressive results with "large salad like" P. moranensis complex plants. It has black peat (no peat sphagnum moss), volcanic rock, sand

Some Pinguicula can be also fan of TRUE specific cacteas media sold in garden center depending on the conditions.

Hope this will help you with P. medusina that seems to be "only" a P. heterophylla variation.

Thanks Eric, you always have interesting ideas, I always like to try out your ideas and add some twists of my own.

could it pruduce a chemical like Drosophyllum does that helps to prevent growth or further growth of plants of the same species around it in order to help conserve water?

Only just tripped over this article. I too have the plant (I think maybe I gave Joseph his original but I may be mistaken.) It is a good grower for me but like Joseph I have not really gotten good growth until recently. This year it has kicked into higher gear though, It is still only about nickle diameter but that is because the leaves are growing straight up, each leaf is 2.5-3" long though.

My media is a bit quirky, basically equal parts crushed coral and pine bark mulch though there is a small portion of perlite and maybe some charcoal in there...

Back