What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula gigantea photos

Plantae777

Pinguiphile
PinguiculagiganteaX_001.jpg

P. gigantea From D. Hayman in 2006

PinguiculaagnataAL3_001.jpg

P. agnata AL3 Sure looks like a gigantea to me I must have mislabeled From J. Clemens in 2005

IMG00287-20091012-1823.jpg

P. gigantea AL 3 From J. Clemens in 2005

I have another cultigen I purchased from from Orchids Limited that has a more upright growth pattern which I can't decide is due to low light/crowded growing conditions prior or if this is its natural growth pattern. It is definitely gigantea as both sides of the leaves are covered with glands truly a beauty!

Does anyone out there currently grow the Orchids Limited P. gigantea?

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing. I must say I am a bit jealous :) P. gigantea does nothing but die for me. Same with P. moctezumae. Everything else grows for me!

The cross with moctezumae also yields big plants, 8" diameter:
Picture003.jpg

Would you mind propagating one for me?-for trade. I really like those.

Baylorguy, in past threads it was mentioned that P. moctezumae dislikes inorganic media (This may not always be the case, however) and high temps. Perhaps this is the case with P. gigantea?

Plantae777, is this species hard? What are your conditions for it? I've been wanting one of these for a long time.

Baylorguy, in past threads it was mentioned that P. moctezumae dislikes inorganic media (This may not always be the case, however) and high temps. Perhaps this is the case with P. gigantea?

Plantae777, is this species hard? What are your conditions for it? I've been wanting one of these for a long time.

First, my apologies for the length of time for my response!

w03 I have found gigantea to be an extremely easy grower; I grow it under what I consider standard conditions for my pings : Hi 85 F Low 50 F 4-6 inches from mixed warm/cool fluorescents and I keep the media constantly moist being VERY careful to not overwater.

I would agree that gigantea dislikes inorganic media; I do grow it in my standard ping mix of 1:1:1:1 Peat:sand:vermiculite:pumice with a little extra peat. I also water with TAP water exclusively; the water in my area has high levels of Ca and a high pH which has kept the pH of the media slightly alkaline despite the peat.

I am currently propagating all of my giganteas as fast as they produce leaves so check with me if you are interested in trading.

-Plantae777 (Paul)

Photobucket can be annoying. Why a scorpioides is in there I do not know. Here, i hope, is the gigantea x moctezumae:

Picture001-24.jpg

More on my culture: Humidity levels range from 30-70% usually stable at 50-55%

also my mix is 1:1:1:1 Peat/Sand/Vermiculite/Pumice not :pumice lol

Back