What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

Plants are looking great, I think something about natural light is much better than artificial lighting, you and Paul are good examples of this. Perhaps LED lights help imitate natural light better, I might invest in some soon.

Thanks guys! I'll have another update coming within the next few weeks. I've been slowly building a small slipper orchid collection. I have 4 Phragmipediums and 2 Paphiopedilums right now. I've had 4 Paphs on the way since Christmas but they were never able to be shipped due to freezing weather on the East Coast -- which is also kinda nice since that stops everyone from bidding on eBay auctions lol. Once those arrive, I'll make another update. :D

Plants are looking great, I think something about natural light is much better than artificial lighting, you and Paul are good examples of this. Perhaps LED lights help imitate natural light better, I might invest in some soon.

When I was in the saltwater aquarium hobby, high powered LEDs were just being introduced and they were extremely expensive. I remember there were massive debates over it, and my point of view was that they wouldn't be as good as metal halides. There's a couple reasons for this...

1. "White" LEDs aren't actually true white. Your eyes are tricking you. It is more in the blue spectrum.
2. LEDs do *NOT* put out the same spectrum the sun does. However, the reason they are used for reef tanks is because the spectrum they emit nicely coincides with the spectrum corals like.

Since LEDs don't put out the spectrum the sun does, they will likely be inferior to metal halides. Halides are expensive though, like $100+ per year for a 150w lamp's running cost. LEDs are cost effective and last a long time, but they probably aren't that great for plants. Don't waste your money. Compact florescent at 4500-6500K should be perfect.

Everything looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Whoa man! Very nice! That vogelii is HUGE! I didn't realize they got that big diameter-wise :0o:

Great growing!

Good video, and beautiful plants :)

Thanks guys!

Here's another video I uploaded today. It's basically a "tutorial" showing how I sowed my N. 'Ventrata' x 'Melvino' and it may interest those of you wanting to try growing Nepenthes from seed. It's very simple with viable seeds, it just takes a long time to grow them from seed. Hopefully the seeds I sowed are viable. If not, I'll have another shot with just as many seeds when the pods on my N. ventricosa x talangensis mature. Same male parent.

It has a lower amount of editing than usual... I just wanted to keep in all the video I could for informational purposes. I'm not the best talker out there (nowhere near good), but I'm much better than some... Working on my English skills though. o;

I recently got a whole bunch of orchids! Specifically Paphiopedilums and Phragmipediums. See them here...

I'll have a new update on something every Friday. If it isn't posted here on Friday, just check my YouTube and it should be up. :)

Made a short video of my Sphagnum collection... Check it out!

Fantastic Sphagnum!

So you showed us all your varieties but didn't talk about how you are growing it. Do you mist it / water it? Whats the humidity & temp? Growing in solid trays, or are there holes in the bottom?

Fantastic Sphagnum!

So you showed us all your varieties but didn't talk about how you are growing it. Do you mist it / water it? Whats the humidity & temp? Growing in solid trays, or are there holes in the bottom?

Same as the rest of my greenhouse, high 40s to low 50s at night since it is below the heater, 70s and 80s in the day. 60-90% humidity depending on weather and time of day. I eyeball the watering -- I just aim to keep them moist. I used to fill up the cultures below the medium line but I can't see that in many cultures now, and many are overgrown. They are solid trays.

thanks!

Early Spring / late Winter greenhouse update!

Was getting questions about the thermostats... I put the link to them in the video description, so if you're looking for some good thermostats for your greenhouse, just go to the video on YouTube and look in the description. :)

So beautiful collection man. I love your sphagnum collection. I just go crazy with moss. I really want to have a collection of moss species like that. :D<textarea id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display: none;"></textarea>

So beautiful collection man. I love your sphagnum collection. I just go crazy with moss. I really want to have a collection of moss species like that. :D<textarea id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display: none;"></textarea>

Thanks!

I started some cultures from little pieces that came from trades. Also, I've noticed that some red sphagnum (and green, but less) is coming up from the dead (Mosser Lee dried Sphagnum) which I have been growing Nepenthes seedlings in for just under a year. One up-side to having all that Sphagnum is being able to pull from it when needed, and it provides a humidity boost for the whole greenhouse if it is very wet. The downside is that it takes up tons of room and water, even when grown at a lower elevation in the greenhouse where its moisture doesn't evaporate as quickly due to cooler temperatures. It's cool to see all the different kinds together and make observations though. :D

The stepchildren of my carnivorous plant collection...

And a Nepenthes update...

Probably my favorite pitcher ever...

I swear I'm going to order you a steadi-cam for your phone. :-))

I swear I'm going to order you a steadi-cam for your phone. :-))

LOL, thanks but no need, I'm planning on buying a nice camera soon. I got a recommendation from a friend who is a photo geek and I'm probably going to do a ton of research to figure out which specific model I need. I don't want anything expensive, just something to last me 4-5 years. I'm gonna get something from the Canon EOS Rebel series plus a SD class 10s card so I can get high quality video.

I only film with my iPhone if I absolutely have to -- you can see many of my other videos are made with an actual camera. :p

Back