What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pine Barrens 2011 Trip Report

• Thread starter elgecko
  • Start date

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
holy sh*% hot!

Yes it was ungodly hot this year.
First bad time in the 7 years I've been going to the Pine Barrens. With temps over 100 degrees everyday; it made it very uncomfortable.
Friday our short paddle, ended up being swimming time in the stream, and then sitting around and napping, before racing back to the cars because of a storm that was trying to blow in.
Saturday we did not find the Barnes and Noble we where looking for, but did find a movie theater.
Sunday morning was not too bad for a early morning paddle, but by 10:00am the temp was climbing fast.

Anyway we did not get to do much exploring this trip because of the temperature.
Here's a quick video / slide show of Sunday morning trip.

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hesJ4aDMG_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would kill to paddle into that spot with a fishing pole! Such a clear video. Do you mind if I ask what you used to shoot that? Thanks for sharing!

Steve,
Great shots in the video! :hail:

This year was a rough one. We reserved our sites (for this campground reserved = 'paid for') in the spring and then the worst heat wave in years just happens to peak while we're out there with no A/C in sight - yikes. My wife & I had planned to stay until Monday but we gave up and went home after our Sun AM trip up the headwaters of Lake Atsion. Friday night we were lying in our tent and a nearby town's weather center said it was 88*F at ~11pm. The sweat was literally pouring down our faces & neck as we laid there - very gross.

Each year I'm reminded of the incredible beauty & diversity of plants / wildlife that make up the Pine Barrens - almost beyond description - in addition to the abundance of CPs everywhere. Heck - even where our campsite comes down to the lake's edge were D. rotundifolia & D. intermedia.

From the original thread:
I always love the photo threads from these trips! Now do you guys bring your own canoes/kayaks? Or do they rent there?
We each have our own boats (My wife & I have touring kayaks & Steve & Gale both have canoes). However, there are nearby outfitters that would make it easy to rent a boat for the weekend.

Is there hiking spots too with CP's?
Sure. There are multiple trails through Wharton State Forest. Steve has hiked / camped on some of them. We've done a fair amount of CP hunting / exploring on land but in general, water trips are much more productive. They're also more comfortable as there isn't a need to break through brush to try & get closer to the plants. We also usually have a day when we travel to different CP spots by car to check out specific locations.

How bad are the mosquitos and sun?
The ultra-hi temperatures this year brought out more biting flies than in past years. There are mosquitoes - but they are typically not horrible. The bugs are not that bad while moving and are generally not an issue at all when out on the water. Usually, one of us brings a screen room and sets up over a picnic table so we can gather and talk about CPs (& anything else) into the night without being bothered by bugs.

Normally the sun isn't too harsh but we also tend to schedule our outings in the morning & evenings (although we're sometimes out for the entire day).

Here are two more nature pics to add to Steve's montage... Red-banded hairstreak (butterfly) & a cooperative dragonfly:
Red-bandedhairstreak2-LakeAtsion072311RS.jpg

Dragonfly-LakeAtsion072411RS.jpg

I would kill to paddle into that spot with a fishing pole! Such a clear video. Do you mind if I ask what you used to shoot that? Thanks for sharing!
Glad you enjoyed them.

I just bought a cheap camcorder for this type of activity. That way if it goes gets dropped or finds it's way at the bottom of the lake / stream no huge loss.
The video is from a Sony Webbie MHS-CM1.

Now the pictures I added into the video was taken with a DSL camera. That is the Sony Alpha A100.

I'm sorry I missed it, but my back is still out so I'm glad I didn't slow you all down... :down:

Thanks Ron, that's good to know! Doubt I can make it next year cause I'll be busy getting ready for the 2012 ICPS Conference! Hopefully you guys will still be doing this in a couple of years from now... looks like fun & I would like to make it!

i liked your pictures....a LOT!

Great link elgecko! I really like the gear pics, very informative! Kinda reminds me of the Pine Barrens here on LI. I'll have to come & check that out one of these days

Saw this headline All 50 States See Record Highs in July and upon reading the article came upon this statement:
Newark, N.J., set an all-time high at 108 F (42.2 C) on July 22, breaking the record of 105 F (40.6 C), set in 2001.
So Newark, NJ crushed the previous all time high by 3*F. Holy smokes!! :0o: Hmmm - where was I on July 22nd? Hmmm - oh - that's right, we were south of Newark tent camping .... :crazy::censor::crazy:

HOT HOT HOT.

Must have been why we not in our canoes most of the time and swimming....

From Ron's link -

"The temperature at the Northway weather station in Southeast Fairbanks County hit a record 97 F (36.1 C) on July 11"

However, where I live, there has literally not been a day over seventy degrees yet.

This whole last week it was 50 degrees during the day.

Back