What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures of your Drosera eating things

I hope they are delicious for your 'dew.

Old(er) pic, from November '13. Picked up a fruit fly culture while it was still warm enough to ship them here, and my D. capensis "red" went mad.

Uu4bptQ.jpg

I'm sure the majority of them escaped. Carnivorous plants aren't all that efficient at trapping prey.

Young D. burmannii (Hann River, Kimberley, Western Australia)
Qxbi0mk.jpg

attachment.php

I know it is blurry, but notice the giant fly this little, slightly mutated (two leaves merged together) leaf managed to catch last night.

Last edited:
My D. burmannii Humpty Doo caught a little flying thing.

It is now doing what it does best – going to town on some food.

Beautiful! If only it was as red as it was before.

Here's a "before and after" of my Drosera tokaiensis. Time span of several hours.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/123498032@N04/14208276285/player/1010d62f34" height="800" width="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/123498032@N04/14021611968/player/2357661d44" height="800" width="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

My D. Filiformis Tracyii caught a crane fly this morning

Springtail has sprung its last...
86WCO1r.jpg

D. regia seems to be a magnet for crane flies. 3rd and 4th or so this season.
IMGP8464_zps67d087c7.jpg

My little D. regia had it's first nice trap leaf so . . . I may have helped it out a little but it doesn't make it any less gruesome. The cranefly was already caught by its legs, but it would just be such a waste to have it die any not have the plant get a meal out of it, so I may have pressed its body against the leaf. :water:

Last edited:
Wow you can pretty much visibly see all the nutrients it got from that meal!

Ohh, nice thread. I've got a couple contributions.

CRnRIEH.jpg

If you can have a "Man eating tiger" then you can have things that eat Drosera:

IMGP5462copy_zps3ac609d3.jpg

07030012.jpg

07030013.jpg

TBT...throwback Tuesday, back when I had dews and they all fit in a 10 gallon aquarium. D. binata caught a cranefly indoors!

attachment.php

Great thread! Hope to have something to add in the next couple of months. Your aphid pic is creeping me out, Not a Number, now I keep thinking about going around to hand-inspect every one of my plants for the little b______s...

Back